Constant crashes in Ubuntu 18.04

Dear Atom community,

I am experiencing constant crashes with the Atom editor on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine.
This does not appear to be tied to any input or other activity - the editor crashes equally often ( 2x every hour on average) when just left open, or when currently just typing some code in it.
I have tried safe mode which did not resolve the issue. Is there anything else I can do to get to the bottom of this issue?

Atom    : 1.34.0
Electron: 2.0.16
Chrome  : 61.0.3163.100
Node    : 8.9.3

It is worth mentioning that I am usually running some CPU intensive tasks alongside on the machine (load is usually 90-100%), but other standard applications seem to be fine with that.

Thanks a lot!

Can you confirm how you installed Atom?

Also, the latest release version is 1.36.0, can you update and see if that makes any difference?

Lastly, are you working on the same project every time there’s a crash or does Atom crash with different projects/no projects open?

I noticed the same thing when I had Google Chrome installed.

I think because they both use WebKit is the reason, but cannot confirm.

I don’t have any issues using Atom with Chrome uninstalled.

Tried it with the recent version 1.36.1, installed with the .deb package - unfortunately it still crashes. I have previously noticed some other electron-based apps crashing at the same time as Atoom does but that seemed to stop after they were updated, so I am assuming the cause is somewhere in a dependency package.

Are you working on the same project every time there’s a crash or does Atom crash with different projects/no projects open?

Also:

It is worth mentioning that I am usually running some CPU intensive tasks alongside on the machine (load is usually 90-100%),

Just to clarify, is this the only case Atom will crash for you? So if you’re not running any other tasks, Atom won’t crash?