Console keeps opening

Hi there,

I’ve recently switched to trying to use Atom more. It’s come a long way since I last updated it. I’m on Windows 8.1 with Atom v.0.134.0

I keep finding though, that every time I press the letter ‘e’ the console opens and I can’t close it. So even trying to write some basic HTML; <a href would mean when I got to the ‘e’ the console pops open and won’t close. I’ve gone into settings and checked my key mapping and can’t see anything mapped to ‘e’. Not sure what to do, but it’s damn annoying. Could it be a package installed, screwing with it?

Yeah, this is likely to be a package - but the real problem is likely to be that your version of Atom is very out of date. Atom is on v0.177.0 now and many packages will no longer work on older versions. Try uninstalling and reinstalling using the new Windows installer: https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/download/v0.177.0/AtomSetup.exe

Ahh - many thanks. Yeh I did wonder how to update. I tried downloading the windows installer again but it just installs the old version. I’ll update and remove most the packages and report back.

I just download and installed Atom from that link and when it first boots I get an error:

Failed to load C:\users\myusername.atom\init.coffee
cup is not defined

What’s in your init.coffee file?

Content is - Do i need to remove this cup Atom command. I think it’s from the original version I intalled?

# Your init script
#
# Atom will evaluate this file each time a new window is opened. It is run
# after packages are loaded/activated and after the previous editor state
# has been restored.
#
# An example hack to make opened Markdown files always be soft wrapped:
#
# path = require 'path'
#
# atom.workspaceView.eachEditorView (editorView) ->
#   editor = editorView.getEditor()
#   if path.extname(editor.getPath()) is '.md'
#     editor.setSoftWrap(true)
cup Atom

edit: Commented out cup Atom and seems to work ok now. Sorry about that. It’s showing version 0.134.0 though (in the release notes) although in the dropdown for help, it says v. 0.150.0

Yeah, that would be it. The release notes being out of date is a known bug - as long as it says version 0.177.0 in the About box, you’re all set.

That’ odd. I installed Atom at home on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and I am getting the correct version of 0.177.0 - however on a similar machine at work my version from that installation file you linked to is 0.150.0 and doesn’t update. Could there be files not being uninstalled initially that are causing me not to be getting the latest version?

I think that version might have been on Chocolatey. You need to uninstall the old version using Chocolatey, then install the new version using the installer.

Ah that does ring a bell. I’ll read up on the docs and see if I can purge my machine of it

Update — I can confirm uninstalling via chocolatey then reinstalling via the new windows installer and everything seems to be working. Thanks for all the help guys.