Connect to web domain?

It’s been about 20 years that I’ve made websites. I got out of it just as Dreamweaver was coming out, so I basically coded everything in Notepad and uploaded it there. Now I understand you need software to do so. Obviously I have Atom and quite like it but I’m not sure now how I would connect it to the domain name & hosting I have. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Also, is there a paid version of Atom? I appreciate that I’ve been able to use this for free but would like to be able to contribute to bills the developers no doubt have. Thank you in advance.

I take it that you are on Windows? I am on Ubuntu with Windows in dualboot when I (rarely) need it.

I suggest that you learn about SSH sessions between your development PC and your cloud services. There are some Atom packages you can install but I suggest that you start by installing PuTTY and becoming familiar with SSH sessions (setting aside Atom to start with).

Then you can create a number of SSH sessions in PuTTY GUI and you can then run such sessions by writing a bash script to be run through Atom by using an Atom package such as process-palette or script. You should explore the command line option of PuTTY.

If you prefer to work directly from Atom (bypassing PuTTY) you can try the package remote-sync.

But really there are many ways of connecting local to remote.

Hi! I’m actually running a MacBook Pro with OS X.9.5.

I installed the package. I suppose I’m going to have to contact my hosting company for some of this, but “back in the day” I’d load up Dreamweaver and connect with a FTP and sync all the files/pages. I’d be able to work off line, adjust as needed and then update the needed files to the live site. Am I able to do this now?

It’s really crazy getting back into all this. It’s similar, but so very different.

For future reference, this is the most important information you have to give us. You don’t need an Atom package to use FTP, but it can greatly simplify your life compared to switching between your editor and an FTP client, but there are a ton of dedicated FTP clients out there and I recommend getting one as well as finding an Atom package that suits your needs. (If you prefer SFTP, and especially if your hosting company does, most FTP clients and packages should support SFTP.)

For my personal FTP use, I have atom-commander which gives me a nice parallel view with my local files and the server, and I like how it naturally sits in the bottom dock because that’s a more comfortable way for me to do edits when I’m working on files on a remote server at the same time as files on my machine.

This part of it really hasn’t changed at all since you got out. HTML files are still plain text interpreted by the browser and FTP is still exactly the same from a technical standpoint. The programs used to manipulate both have gotten more bells and whistles, but none of the core functionality is different.

Thank you! So I have Atom commander installed. I’m quite confused as the bottom window shows a lot of files that I have no idea where/what they are. From memory, I’d add into Dreamweaver the FTP details and it would pull the files from the server and then I could add/delete/update from there. Which FTP/SFTP (no idea the difference) would you recommend? I have quite a few options via the App Store but they are paid. I have no problem paying, but I want to test it out first before purchasing.

Blockquote
This part of it really hasn’t changed at all since you got out. HTML files are still plain text interpreted by the browser and FTP is still exactly the same from a technical standpoint. The programs used to manipulate both have gotten more bells and whistles, but none of the core functionality is different.

I took Khan Academy’s introduction to HTML and CSS and I was really surprised how little has changed. < b> is obsolete and tables have a few more bits and bobs. Had I known this, I would have got into it a lot sooner! (I had tried a bit of Java but couldn’t get my head around it and thought this was web design now and gave up.)

Thank you very much for your help.

It also shows you exactly where they are: /. That’s the root level of your operating system, for all Unix-style OSes. Your personal files should all be under /home/.

From memory, I’d add into Dreamweaver the FTP details and it would pull the files from the server and then I could add/delete/update from there.

You can press the Menu button or right click. Under Servers, click on Add and it will give you the prompt to enter your connection info.

Which FTP/SFTP (no idea the difference) would you recommend?

The difference in protocols is something you should Google to bring yourself up to speed. SFTP is safer from hackers, but not every host supports it. Some hosts may strongly prefer or enforce SFTP if they’re very security-minded. When I was on a Mac for a time, I used Cyberduck, but I have no idea what’s current.

Java has no relationship with web design. If you mean JavaScript, that’s a lot of what some people do, but it’s in no way required. It’s very helpful for making a site change without you having to micromanage it.

I’ve been using Mountain Duck (mountainduck.io) on mac for many years and still happy today. The best feature with Mountain Duck, that you can mount your server to finder (or on Windows “Windows Explorer”), so you can edit your server file on-the-fly as you edit file localy. Beware with working directly to server, there is no trash folder!