Column selection feature is incomplete and not the way we used to it

I found many existing and old editors (e.g. Notepad++, Geany, Crimson editor) do column selection with these shortcuts:

Alt-Shift-Down - like Shift-Down to extend/shrink cursor selection, but in rectangular column selection mode. E.g. try Alt-Shift-Down, then Alt-Shift-Right.
Alt-Shift-Up - like Shift-Up, but in rectangular mode.
Alt-Shift-Left - like above
Alt-Shift-Right - like above

Alt + mouse drag - to make a rectangular selection

However, in Atom, the shortcut is different (Ctrl-Shift-Down, Ctrl-Shift-Up) and with different behavior. I would like to point out that this seems a new invention and doesn’t maintain harmony with old editors.

Since Atom is newer editor with some potential, I would like to see its common features behave like the mainstream, but not unnecessary new invention.

This is a duplicate of a previous topic:

We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Please continue the discussion there. I’ll be closing this topic as duplicate.

@leedohm
The topic you linked is itself closed and marked as duplicate of something else.

@johnnytemp

There’s a few plugin that provide this functionality. Amongs them https://atom.io/packages/box-edit

Actually our focused points are different, so I fired this issue.

E.g. from my point of view, I suggested that the shortcut “Ctrl-Shift-Up / Down” is not good. (Unless being different from other editors is the main intention)

Thanks, updated! Copy/pasted the wrong link :laughing:

I agree with @jeancroy, if you’re concerned about the key binding then this is a support category topic, not features. If you’re concerned with the capability of column selection and how it operates, then this is indeed a duplicate.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.