Cmd problem(s)

Hi,
I have a big problem with the cmd key. I am running windows and I have the following buttons: CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, and the WINDOWSKEY.

When I am running atom, some of the documentation specifies the cmd key in a shortcut.

I’ve found (somewhere) that the windows synonym for cmd is the CTRL key. But I’m unsure of the context at the website where I found this definition. Your FAQ, and documentation does not define cmd for windows – or I cannot find it. The net result is that for me, the ctrl key does not translate to “cmd”.

I need to know more aout the context for cmd.
Does the ATOM documentation mean CTRL in a windows context when it says cmd ?
Does the ATOM documentation mean the APPLE button on a MAC?
Does EVERY shortcut with the cmd key NOT work in ATOM on Windows?

Please help.

Regards,
Gregg

See the discussion here:

The short answer is: there is no direct equivalent to the OS X Command key on Windows. Sometimes there is a direct mapping of Command+Whatever on OS X to Control+Whatever on Windows/Linux, but sometimes not because, in essence, Windows and Linux have one less meta key than OS X and things get a little more crowded. When there is not a direct conversion, there is virtually always another key combination that does the same thing. You can use the Command Palette Ctrl+Shift+P on Windows/Linux to find the primary key associated with commands or the Keybindings tab in the Settings View to see all of them.

Also, there is no Apple key on Macs … according to Wikipedia the open and closed Apple keys both went out with the Apple II line.

Beyond that, please continue the conversation on the topic I linked above. We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Closing this topic as duplicate.