Close all *other* panes

In Emacs, when you have multiple panes split and you decide, “Now I want this pane to be full screen” you press C-x 0 which closes all other panes that is not the one you’re in focus on.

With Atom I have to switch over to the one of the other panes, hit Cmd-W until all its tabs close and when all are closed I get my desired pane back in full screen.

Any remedies other than switching back to Emacs :slight_smile: …which I don’t want to do.

I don’t use Emacs, but I tried to understand what you explained and I hope this helps.

Add this to your keymap.cson file:

'body':
  'f6': 'custom:close-panes'

And this to your init.coffee:

atom.workspaceView.command 'custom:close-panes', ->
  panes = atom.workspace.getPanes()
  activePane = atom.workspace.getActivePane()
  for pane in panes
    pane.destroy() if activePane isnt pane

Yay! Works like a charm! You rock!

Now, would it be possible to bind this to some keyboard command that is more similar to the other pane splitting commands. For example, can I make this Cmd-k 0?

Use cmd-k 0 instead of f6

'body':
  'cmd-k 0': 'custom:close-panes'

That works like a charm too. Now I just need to get it into my muscle memory.

I’m looking for this functionality, but with the ability to restore the previously closed tabs and panes.

The idea is I have several files open, and I want to focus on a single file (correct some mistakes), after I can switch back to the view I started.
Kind of like a fullscreen functionality with the current file only.

So I’m looking to a restore functionality. Is it possible (the above code calls .destroy()), so I doubt it.

Opening the files that were closed would be easy, just record which ones and open them on restore. Restoring the exact pane configuration might be harder, but I suspect still doable.

Look at smart-tab-sort as an example. It controls the order of tabs.

It might be nice to be able to save the entire state of the panes/tabs with names so you can load them at any time.

Don’t work with 0.155.0. Had to add Item:

atom.workspaceView.command 'custom:close-panes', ->
  panes = atom.workspace.getPaneItems()
  activePane = atom.workspace.getActivePaneItem()
  for pane in panes

v0.155.0 is pretty old at this point, over three months old. You should probably update to the latest version.

Additionally, for the latest version, you should change it to:

atom.commands.add 'atom-workspace',
  'custom:close-panes': ->
    panes = atom.workspace.getPaneItems()
    activePane = atom.workspace.getActivePaneItem()
    for pane in panes

Wow, thank you very much, I didn’t know that. Looks like Windows version stopped notifying about updates.
And thanks for the updated code.

Thanks for the update.
However, it’s causing this issue at the moment: https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/6587

If you use the command I updated above in a normal way, i.e. calling it from an editor with no special views open, it works. You are correct that it doesn’t have any error checking in it. I doubt though that the issue you linked is actually related. “undefined is not a function” is the most generic of error messages.

Do pane.destroy?() if activePane isnt pane in case of a SettingsView. I’m not sure how to close that pane.

Adding a custom script isn’t necessary anymore. Now the solution is built in. For example, to make ‘cmd-shift-w’ the shortcut to close all other tabs, add the following to ~/.atom/keymap.cson:

'atom-text-editor':
  'cmd-shift-w' : 'pane:close-other-items'