Clarification on making new grammars

Hello all,

I am new to the Atom scene but am liking it very much so far. I am working with a language called AutoHotKeys working on a long term project. After looking for multiple hours looking for a good grammar/syntax highlighting for the language with no luck. The few I found are outdated and not supported any longer.

What I am looking for is some resources on how to create my own. There are many other post about this but all the answers point to vaguely related articles, but I cannot find a Atom grammar specific article/tutorial on the matter. If anyone could please take the time to make a semi-detailed post on the matter I’m sure than many people will find it useful.

Thanks

The Atom grammar system is based heavily on TextMate, to the point where the TextMate tutorial is a very useful source of information. It’s just in JSON instead of CSON.

I’ve made a template with annotations to make it easy to remember what everything does, and several of my GitHub repos are just little languages I made for people (like this one), so you could look at those. It’s harder to see the forest for the trees when you’re looking at a behemoth like language-javascript.

In addition, feel free to ping me (@wliu on Discuss, @50Wliu on GitHub) if you need help. I’ll be happy to assist.

If you need help with writing regexes, I would recommend using a site like https://regex101.com/ or http://regexr.com/ to test out your regex live.

I understand creating language packages for Atom can be intimidating at first (and maybe for a little while after in my case), but my best advice would be to take a look at the existing, outdated, AutoHotKeys language packages to provide a starting point.
I’m not sure how much help I can be, but I have contributed to the development of a few other Atom language packages and have a bit of experience writing the AutoHotKey scripts that I use daily, so let me know if you’re looking for any help. You can DM me on Twitter (@bstevensondev) or message me on Discuss(@JonSn0w).
Nevertheless, I look forward to having a more up-to-date AHK language package.