Chrome Editor Tweaking Source

I’m tweaking Atom source using Chrome Inspector (the compiled JS). Since my changes wouldn’t persist when I reload Atom, I saved my changes locally. However, when I reload Atom, it wouldn’t load the files that I have made change to.

Specifically, I made some change to cursor.js, and saved the changes by Right Click -> Save, and now it doesn’t show up in the source

I went to the folder in my terminal and the cursor.js file is there with atom.js, babel.js, etc, with same permission.
What should I do?

And, BTW, if I change some coffee file locally, is there a way to only compile only those coffee files, so that I can do some quick testing?

Are the original files that are in Atom, JS or CS files? If they are CS files then changing the JS files won’t show up in atom. I am probably not understanding correctly,

The good old coffee -c command line will do that nicely. There are also several atom packages to manage compiling CS.

You should start by taking a look at the instructions for Building Atom for your OS. It looks like you’re using OS X. If so, the instructions for Building Atom on OS X are here:

https://github.com/atom/atom/blob/master/docs/build-instructions/os-x.md

Are the original files that are in Atom, JS or CS files? If they are CS files then changing the JS files won’t show up in atom. I am probably not understanding correctly,

JS files. I use the inspector to do minor tweak & debug.

if I change some coffee file locally, is there a way to only compile only those coffee files

Thanks. I guess I’ll write a grunt script for that. (git ls-files for coffee files in src, then use compiled JS to replace the installed Atom).

You should refer to the documentation first for the proper way to build Atom from source. As my mom would say, “You’re going the long way around the barn.”

You’re going the long way around the barn

And you’re going to lose your work when Atom updates.

Yeah, but I don’t want to build the whole source for every small change I make.

I want to start contributing to Atom, but now I’m still trying to figure out how Atom works exactly. Sometimes I need to tweak the source and see how Atom behave. I used to be editing directly on Chrome Inspector but changes won’t persist after a restart/reload, that’s why I want to make changes to coffee source and only build them.

I’m wondering how Github developers work on Atom. Say someone want to add a quick console.log to prove his thinking is right. Does he add the line to the coffee src and build Atom in whole?

Right, but these are just small changes I make to see how Atom works. It’s not like bug fixes.

I’m not a GitHub developer, but yes … that’s how I work on Atom. I never touch the compiled JS output. More specifically, I write a test for the behavior I want and run the tests, watch it fail, then fix it so the test passes. I only need to do a full build if I’m going to launch the application.

OK, thanks!