Changing a files "meta" scope

Is it possible to change a file’s ‘meta’ scope from within the editor?

For example, in the rails-snippets package, it limits the scope snippets to files with the meta.rails.model scope. However, I have model files that don’t get that scope for some reason and so the snippets no longer work which can be a bit of a productivity killer once the snippets are in muscle memory.

Also, where can I find the place that determines the scopes for a file so I can see if there is a possible resolution to the underlying issue in this case?

I managed to find the definition for the meta.rails.model scope here https://github.com/atom/language-ruby-on-rails/blob/master/grammars/ruby%20on%20rails.cson#L71

I suppose my next question is whether grammars can only be specified based on content regexes or whether file names/locations can be taken into account?

In my case the default grammar definition will miss the vast majority of my models as they don’t directly inherit from ActiveRecord::Base. Being able to specify that any files matching app/models/**/*.rb should include the meta.rails.model grammar would solve that issue and ensure that snippets don’t randomly stop working in files in which they are needed.

The closest I’ve got is the following in my ~/atom/init.coffee:

atom.workspace.observeTextEditors (editor) ->
  editorPath = editor.getPath()
  ext = path.extname(editorPath)
  if ext == '.rb'
    if /app\/(models)/.test(editorPath)
      # editor.setGrammar(atom.grammars.grammarForScopeName('meta.rails.model'))

However, I need to be able to set the editor to a specific pattern within the grammar to enable the snippets. Is there a method for that?

What do you mean with this?

There’s also the file-types package set a grammar for specific extensions. Does that do what you want?

Typically, you want to declare snippets for the top-level scope for a grammar unless you have a specific reason for restricting it further. It’s just easier that way :grinning: For example, if I want a snippet to work in Ruby code, I would declare something like this:

'.source.ruby':
  Before:
    prefix: 'bef'
    body: 'before { $0 }'

Now, yes, technically this snippet is only for RSpec specifications. But declaring it as a Ruby snippet is good enough.

Also, typically the top-level scope for a grammar is either .source.language or .text.language, indicating whether the language is for source code or text: .source.ruby or .text.html. Of course, these are more like guidelines … than actual rules per se … so they’re broken sometimes. But they’re always two entries … and meta has a specific meaning when it comes to scopes (see here) … so I definitely wouldn’t restrict my snippets to just that.

Anyway … I need to run off … I hope that gets you started.

Thanks! So it appears the core issue with snippets is that the rails-snippets package is limiting it’s snippets based on the meta scopes provided by the language-ruby-on-rails package.

This still doesn’t solve the problem that my model files don’t get the correct meta scope but at least snippets would be working if the above was fixed.

The term is “scope” not “meta scope”. A specific section of the text in a file may be marked with the scope of meta, but an entire file is only given a “scope”.

Thanks for the responses. I think what tripped me up was the “official” ruby-on-rails language package where the model snippets are tied to a specific “meta scope”: https://github.com/atom/language-ruby-on-rails/blob/master/snippets/language-ruby-on-rails.cson#L399

The snippets in the rails-snippets package work ok as they are on the “source.ruby.rails” scope but it seems as though there was possibly a conflict or something where they were also not working in my model files until after restarting Atom.