Change code of extension has no effects

Hi,

I am having grief with indentation for linter-eslint. I would like to check what is going on.
I have the packages linter, linter-eslint and linter-ui-default installed.

I am getting a message that reads:

Expected indentation of 8 spaces but found 4. (indent)

The module creating the output is eslint. The directories in .atom/packages are:

merc@merc-ThinkPad-X250:~/.atom/packages$ ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 7 merc merc 4096 Oct  8 21:30 busy-signal
drwxr-xr-x 8 merc merc 4096 Oct  8 21:30 intentions
drwxr-xr-x 7 merc merc 4096 Oct  8 21:30 linter
drwxr-xr-x 7 merc merc 4096 Oct  8 21:32 linter-eslint
drwxr-xr-x 7 merc merc 4096 Oct  8 21:30 linter-ui-default
merc@merc-ThinkPad-X250:~/.atom/packages$

A simple grep tells me what I am looking for:

merc@merc-ThinkPad-X250:~/.atom/packages$ grep -r 'Expected indentation of ' * 
linter-eslint/node_modules/eslint/lib/rules/indent.js:            return `Expected indentation of 
${expectedStatement} but found ${foundStatement}.`;
linter-eslint/node_modules/eslint/lib/rules/indent-legacy.js:            return `Expected 
indentation of ${expectedStatement} but found ${foundStatement}.`;
merc@merc-ThinkPad-X250:~/.atom/packages$ 

I change those strings, reload atom (with CTRL-SHIFT-F5 or even closing/reopening), but the output string won’t change.
Even weirder: if I rename linter into linter2, and restart atom, I am asked if I want to install linter which is a missing dependency. I say no.

The editor starts, and… I get the same indentation message. Plus, the linter keeps on working happily (?!?).

Moving linter totally out of atom’s tree does disable the messages completely. I assume ALL packages in the packages directory are read – OK.

Now… are modules somehow compiled/minified/whatever by atom, hence I am not able to see any changes? Or are these messages generated somewhere else? Or… what?

I am 100% confused. The main issue is that I want to install an older version of eslint because the current one has a bug with indentation, but even the basics (changing an output string) is proving too hard…?

Thanks

Maybe try apm develop eslint and modify what you’ll find in ~/github/eslint.

all good I was looking at the wrong file…