Cedilha accent problem (ç)


#1

I am having trouble on Atom when I try to type ’ + c to get the letter ç. Every other editor on my system works (sublime text, scribes, etc.), but atom gives me ć instead. Even in chromium (say in the search bar), I the ç from ’ + c.

I am using linux arch with xfce as desktop.

I’m not quite sure how atom determines the keyboard layout to use, but I imagined it would be the same way chromium did, but since chromium is working and atom is not, I am stumped.

Complementing, I tried developing an app with electron to see if the problem persisted and in fact it did, so I imagine it has something to due with the embeded chromium. I’ll dig around with electron to see if I can figure it out, but any suggestions would be awesome.


#2

It looks like you’re running into this:

It’s great that Chromium is fixed now. Which version of Chromium are you using? (Electron generally lags behind Chromium stable by a few weeks and Atom lags behind Electron even further, so it may take a while for the fix to filter down.)


#3

I don’t think it’s the same problem, because other diacritics éíóú, etc. work fine and the same both on chromium and in atom. I am running Version 49.0.2623.75 (64-bit) of chromium.

I am digging around my “electron app” (which is just https://github.com/szwacz/electron-boilerplate.git with an input element in the app.html file) and was able to make it work by defining variable LANG to be pt_BR.utf8 (was originally en_US.utf8). In other words, in my little app, if LANG=en_US.utf8, typing in ’ + c in the input field produces: ć. if LANG=pt_BR.utf8, typing in ’ + c in the input field produces: ç

But this same solution dosen’t work with ATOM. Will keep digging. Thanks for the suggestion!


#4

The latest development version of Atom I’m using is running Chromium 47. The latest Stable version of Atom (v1.5.4 at the time of this writing) is running Chromium 45. So you can see why these things might vary from Chromium to Electron to Atom :grinning:


#5

Got the “LANG=pt_BR.utf8” to work on atom. The reason it wasn’t working before was due to this issue:

When I tried it I already had other instances of atom running. Once I closed them all, and reopened ATOM, it picked up the variable. Also, Don’t need to set LANG. Just LC_CTYPE=pt_BR.utf8 works.

However, I’m still not quite sure why chromium didn’t need this in order to work.