Cant see the output of a Lua code in the console

Hello!
I am very new to programming and just a bit familiar with JavaScript (p5.js).
I wanted to learn some Lua, installed Atom and some packages, like the one that supports “Lua” and also the one with which I can run the script.

Now I tried very many things and googled everything all over the place but I can’t find why it isn’t giving me the output it should. (As seen in the Picture)

Thank you in advance for helping :slight_smile:

Have you installed Lua on your computer? That output message says that the lua executable is unable to be found.

I have installed the Lua package in Atom. Do I need to install it somewhere else as well?

You need to install it in the first place. language-lua only tells Atom how to read Lua syntax in order to highlight it for you, but Atom has no means of running code. For that, you need the software that knows how to compile Lua into machine code so that your computer can actually run it.

Ok so now I have it installed but I have no clue where to put it since there is no installation program.

These are the files I got.

Well, since you downloaded the first thing you saw without reading the text on the page I linked to, all you have is the source code. That’s not what you want. You want to go to the binaries (the link to the binaries is on the same page, but I’m not going to give you the answer for free because you need to read everything) and download the Mac one and that should give you a more conventional installation experience (I don’t have a Mac, so I can’t open it and look).

Again thats just confusing data for me :persevere:

Have you tried the first one?

Yes exactly that one

The screenshot you posted is of the second file. What do you see inside the first one?

You just get the folder from that one. I really don’t have a clue what to do :confused:

What about the other link under the binaries section?

Also just some data and no installation program.

Maybe this can help but I don’t know what to do with that.

Type those lines into the Terminal.

I think you should take a step back and start with more fundamental topics such as how to use your computer’s command line interface. It’s clear that you’re a new user on Mac, and most software development tools assume that you have at least moderate proficiency with the machine you’re working on.

Finally solved it!

1 Like

Huzzah! :slight_smile: