Can't get it setup to do Java

It appears Atom works right out of the box for running C++ code, but it would be cool if I could get it set up for Java too. I already have my Path variable defined correctly. I have installed the Java Language package too. I installed a package called Build, and when I reopened Atom I got a red error message saying the Build package could not be activated.

So where do I go from here?

It does not. It requires packages to handle that.

I got a red error message saying the Build package could not be activated.

Please share this error message.

Failed to activate the build package.
Can’t find module atom-package-deps.
The error was thrown from the build package.
This issue has already been reported.

How did you install build? Go to .atom/packages/build/node_modules and tell me what you see in there. Then try navigating to .atom/packages/build in the command line and executing apm install, then reload Atom.

What I did was I hit the Repo button on the website and then I went to the right and saw a green button that said Clone or download or something. I clicked on it and I save the package in a .zip format to my external drive. Then I extracted the folder and copied the Build Master folder to my C: drive where the atom packages folder is.

I have no idea how to use those kind of websites that say Repository and all that. There does not seem to be a simple obvious download button.

The easiest way to download packages is from within Atom (File -> Settings, click on the Install tab, search for the package you want). A secondary way of doing it is to use apm install build, which will download the package and all its dependencies. What you did was download the package code, but you didn’t install the dependencies.

Git repos are raw code and virtually always need to be built (that is, they need to be compiled, have build scripts run, and/or have dependencies downloaded) before they’re usable.

So how do you use this apm install build thing? I’ve never heard of this. It doesn’t sound like Windows.Why does everybody on these forums not explain in specific detail how to do this stuff? Use apm install build. What does that mean? Where is it? Is it an entry in the menu somewhere? Is this something that you have to enter in at the command line?

If people would explain things the way they’re supposed to we would have a helluva lot less headaches.

I mentioned it in my first reply to you. The Flight Manual page I linked to covers the command line utility, and most commands will give you a help screen when you type the command by itself.

It doesn’t sound like Windows.

It is, and if it was platform-specific, then I would have asked you about your OS before suggesting it.

Why does everybody on these forums not explain in specific detail how to do this stuff? Use apm install build. What does that mean?

Since in my previous post I mentioned that you use it in the command line, I have explained in specific detail how to use it. You literally just type apm install build and the program does everything else for you (since you’re telling it which package you want, you don’t have to use the command inside a package directory). Furthermore, the Flight Manual page I linked to covers it.