Can't Figure out how to Exit Dev Mode

I can’t figure out how to exit Dev mode. I have tried clicking everything on the (Mac) Menu Bar, exiting out of Atom, and even restarting my laptop. I have been able to find one topic about this issue but their solution did not work.

1. Make sure you are updated to the most recent version of Atom (there was a bug at one point that made Dev Mode “sticky” but that was fixed several versions ago)
  2. If that doesn’t fix it
    1. Completely exit all instances of Atom
    2. Delete the ~/.atom/storage directory
    3. Start Atom normally

So I tried that several times but it wouldn’t work. So I just decided to uninstall Atom and redownload it again and just reinstall all my packages. I then started creating my own theme where I would keep restarting Atom (cmd+alt+ctrl+l) to see what I was doing. After about 30 minutes or so, when I went to restart again it opened in Dev mode randomly and now I’m stuck back to where I was at before(I have already tried those steps again several times). So I don’t even now why it went into dev mode this time becuase I avoided clicking anything I haven’t already been using the past few months… P.S. Sorry for the length, just wanted to let you know what’s fully going on just incase I did something while using the restart short cut idk?

P.S.S. Summary: Didn’t work, unistalled completely and deleted ALL files on Atom. Reinstalled from new Zip file I downloaded and without entering Dev Mode I randomly got stuck in it again.

You might want to check to see if there is something in Local Storage indicating Dev Mode.

.atom:
compile-cache, init.coffee, packages, storage, config.cson, keymap.cson, snippets.cson, styles.less.

storage:
application.json

Local Storage as in web browser … Atom is built on top of Chromium. You have to go into the Developer Tools to get to the Local Storage store.

This is an old question, but I experienced the same thing and figured out the problem.

When one is developing a theme package, if something goes wrong in the theme that causes a compile error, such as in a LESS file, Atom will load in dev mode automatically and display an error message in the console.

Check the error, edit the offending file in a different text editor and try starting Atom again.

It’s also possible to open Atom in safe mode with atom --safe. That’ll ignore your community packages including the theme you’re working on.