Can't delete any files on Linux

Hi I’m running Linux MInt 15.
I can’t delete any files from Atom from tree view, delete key doesn’t work either. Has someone had similar problem?

thank you

Have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • Do you have the React editor enabled?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

• Also, could you check if you have permissions to delete this file?

Which version of Atom are you using?

Do you have the React editor enabled?
Options has been removed

Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?
Yes

Also, could you check if you have permissions to delete this file?
Yes

But i am using Gentoo.

Do you have gvfs-trash installed? Electron uses it to move files to the trash.

Thank you, i don’t had gvfs installed.

For Gentoo users:
emerge gnome-base/gvfs

I have the same problem with chakra linux (a variant of Arch)
Using kde it seems there is only kio in substitution of gvfs… can you provide an alternative using kio when necessary or, anyway, not strongly linked to the installed DE?

No, it’s currently not possible to use something else than gvfs. Electron tries to move the file to trash with gvfs-trash and fails silently if it’s not found… If you really don’t have the option to install gvfs you should open an issue on the Electron repository.

I have the same problem in ubuntu and already have gvfs-trash installed. The only way that I can delete files from tree view is launching atom as sudo, but I think that it is not a good solution. Is not a permissions problem cause I tried to create and delete files with sublime without any problem, all works fine, only atom cause problems.

I’m having same problem here: can’t delete/move any file/folder.
Run Atom as root “solve” this issue for me…

For Ubuntu/Debian users and their derivatives check that ~/.local/share/Trash is owned by the user. If not run sudo chown -R {user}:{user} ~/.local/share/Trash

I have similar issue running Atom 1.8.0, on Manjaro 4.4.13-1, I have gvfs 1.28.2-1. I can delete files under my “general” projects folder ~/home/Documents/projects/... However when I try to delete files from /srv/http/... my test environment running the LAMP stack, atom fails to delete bringing up the warning about gvfs-trash. I do own /srv/http and can read write this folder, creating new documents no problem. I have / mounted on one dive and /home mounted on a different drive.

I had the same issue :disappointed:. Thanks to dkniffin in this https://github.com/atom/tree-view/issues/345, i was able to fix it. You can read his response there, that is basicaly this:

gvfs-trash needs a .Trash-1000 directoy to move deleted files, but it only creates one at home, like it shoud be. So you need to create a .Trash-1000 directory at root to be able to delete files using gvfs outside home (or inside the partition where your project exists).

Create the directoy and you should be able to delete files from Atom Tree View :grin:.