Cannot focus on split pane

I am using two split panes (left and right) to edit two different files in a project.
However, when clicking on the right pane, the active cursor immediately jumps to the left pane. Sometimes it’s the other way round.
I still can select text in either pane, but typing is not possible (well, I would type in the pane to which I jumped).
When opening a file from tree-view, its only opened in the pane I switched to.
Why?

I am using atom 1.12.3, and the project consists of latex (.tex) files.
Strangely, when I have the same file open on both panes, this switch does not happen.
Also, this only occurs after some time, and not immediately after I open the project in atom.
Help?

Hey,

I would recommend that you check out the debugging section of the Atom flight manual.
Something in particular to test is if you can reproduce this problem in safe mode atom --safe. This disables all community packages to help narrow down where there is a problem.

Are you running and official build of Atom? How did you install Atom? If you provide the output of atom --version I might be able to help determine this.

When opening a file from tree-view, its only opened in the pane I switched to.
Why?

This is the way the tree-view is designed. Newly opened files open in the active pane. There is an Always Open Existing setting to change this to look if the file is open in any pane and activate the tab there before opening the file.