Cannot find module 'atom-space-pen-views'

I am new to atom and wanted to try my hand at writing a plugin package.
I copied the following code snippet from the ‘styleguide’ but ended but getting an error

{SelectListView, $$} = require 'atom-space-pen-views'

module.exports =
class ExampleSelectListView extends SelectListView
  initialize: (@listOfItems) ->
    super
    @setItems(@listOfItems)

viewForItem: (item) ->
    $$ -> @li(item)

cancel: ->
    console.log("cancelled")

confirmed: (item) ->
    console.log("confirmed", item)

I got this stacktrace:

Cannot find module 'atom-space-pen-views'Hide Stack TraceError: Cannot find module 'atom-space-pen-views'  at Module._resolveFilename (module.js:351:15)  at Function.Module._resolveFilename (/usr/share/atom/resources/app/src/module-cache.js:383:52)  at Function.Module._load (module.js:293:25)  at Module.require (module.js:380:17)  at require (module.js:399:17)  at Object.<anonymous> (/home/rahul/github/test/lib/test-view.coffee:1:24)  at Object.<anonymous> (/home/rahul/github/test/lib/test-view.coffee:1:1)  at Module._compile (module.js:475:26)  at Object.requireCoffeeScript (/usr/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/coffee-cash/lib/coffee-cash.js:85:19)  at Module.load (module.js:370:32)  at Function.Module._load (module.js:325:12)  at Module.require (module.js:380:17)  at require (module.js:399:17)  at Object.<anonymous> (/home/rahul/github/test/lib/test.coffee:1:12)  at Object.<anonymous> (/home/rahul/github/test/lib/test.coffee:1:1)  at Module._compile (module.js:475:26)  at Object.requireCoffeeScript (/usr/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/coffee-cash/lib/coffee-cash.js:85:19)  at Module.load (module.js:370:32)  at Function.Module._load (module.js:325:12)

Have you specified atom-space-pen-views as a dependency in your package.json file? You need to do that and then do an npm install or apm install to actually install the module.

Thanks. That worked

I’d recommend apm install since with Atom packages I believe there is some extra caching that happens. Also, over time what apm install and npm install do may diverge … and you want to be on the correct side of that change.

Also because some modules must be compiled when installed, and apm uses Atom’s (chromium’s?) V8 header files instead of Node’s.

Running package dependencies update also seems to work,