Can not get "package-list" package to work

I have installed the package-list package (Atom 1.23.3 on Windows).

According to the documentation, either Ctrl-5 or running the command package-list:open is supposed to run the package list.

The key combination ctrl-5 didn’t have any effect.

For running the command, I tried ctrl-r (because from my understanding, this should execute a command), but this also didn’t have any effect. I didn’t get a Window where I could enter a command. My guess is that running a command is assigned to a different key, but I don’t know which one, and I didn’t find another way to run a command.

Finally, I put the following line into keymap.json:

‘ctrl-5’: ‘package-list:open’

But even after this, and restarting Atom, Ctrl-5 didn’t have the desired effect.

How can I use the package-list?

You can open the Keybinding Resolver using ctrl-.. Then try the keybinding again, take a screenshot of it, and post it here.

For running the command, I tried ctrl-r (because from my understanding, this should execute a command)

On what do you base this conclusion?

Finally, I put the following line into keymap.json:
‘ctrl-5’: ‘package-list:open’
But even after this, and restarting Atom, Ctrl-5 didn’t have the desired effect.

If you just added that one line, then you might not have done it correctly. First, I’m going to recommend that you use a keymaps.cson file, because CSON is way faster to type and harder to mess up than JSON, which requires a bunch of commas and brackets that CSON does not. Second, you have to have a declared scope for the keybinding. This is structured as a CSS selector, and is the outer-most level of the file. The following code is a valid CSON document. However, don’t just go off and add it, because we need to debug why package-list isn’t working for you.

"*":
  'ctrl-5': 'package-list:open'

You can open the Keybinding Resolver using ctrl-…

This helped. I found that I had a Windows application running which intercepted the keystroke. I now assigned it to ctrl-alt-5 and it works now.

For running the command, I tried ctrl-r (because from my understanding, this should execute a command)
On what do you base this conclusion?

Google (searching for “atom”, “editor” and “run command”). Perhaps the information I found was outdated and refered to an earlier version of Atom.

Just in case I need it again: What is your recommended way to run a command?

UPDATE: I found that I can run a command with Ctrl-Shift-P

I’m going to recommend that you use a keymaps.cson file

Sorry, my mistake. Actually I opened the keymap file via the menu File/Keymap, and then, keymap.cson came up (at least that’s what the title bar says). I misread it and typed .json instead of .cson.

Every Google result has a page attached to it. Sometimes the information is old, but sometimes it’s out of context. For instance, the reference to ctrl-r may have been talking about the atom-runner package, which uses the keybinding to run the active TextEditor as a script.

Sorry, my mistake. Actually I opened the keymap file via the menu File/Keymap, and then, keymap.cson came up (at least that’s what the title bar says). I misread it and typed .json instead of .cson.

That’s good.