Can I run a programme hosted on anothers person's computer via teletype?

I’m pretty new to python, so I’d rather be able to run my programs every time I change them to check if they work. Sadly, every time I try to run run them, it fails and I get this error : “python: can’t open file ‘@EntSteven:Projet\simulateur.py’: [Errno 22] Invalid argument”, because I don’t host these files. So, is there a way for me to execute our code, or to download all the files at once to then execute them ? Thanks for your answers !

What other ways do you have to connect to the remote server? You can always run Python on a terminal over SSH, or you can FTP the whole folder to yourself whenever you want to test.

About using Teletype in particular, it seems like whatever package you’re using expects the file to be on your local machine - in that case, it’s not possible with Teletype as far as I know and there’s an issue for this general behavior if you want to subscribe for updates:

I’m sorry, as a whole noob (not even an english one), i don’t know what SSH or FTP mean ^^’

Ok, and is there a way for me to download the whole package my friend opened ? Last time we tried, I couldn’t even see the files if he didn’t open them one by one instead of just opening the whole folder, and copy-pasting all our code is long… Did we do something wrong ?

Google will be useful here. FTP and SSH are ways of connecting to a remote server, and if you use one of them with the atom-commander package, you’ll have options for how to download and run your code like you can’t do via Teletype.

1 Like

Last time we tried, I couldn’t even see the files if he didn’t open them one by one instead of just opening the whole folder, and copy-pasting all our code is long… Did we do something wrong ?

If I understand you correctly, you didn’t do anything wrong. Teletype lets you work on multiple files together but based on what the host has open. So if you join someone’s portal you see whatever file they have open initially and then have access to any files they have open (e.g. you can use the file finder to navigate through the files they have open). But if they haven’t opened a particular file yet, you don’t have access to it.

There’s another issue about project sharing, which is something people would love to see: https://github.com/atom/teletype/issues/211

1 Like