Can I pad the line numbers with zeros in front?

I’d like to pad a zero or two on the front of the line numbers. When you go from writing on line 9 to writing on line 10, everything shifts over one space because of the extra digit. Is there a way to pad some zeros on the front of the line numbers so this shift doesn’t happen?

Is there a way to make a fixed width for the line number column?

You can fix this with your css (less) file.

How would you do that with just CSS?

You could do that by adding something like this to your styles.less:

atom-text-editor::shadow {
  .line-number {
    &-0::before,
    &-1::before,
    &-2::before,
    &-3::before,
    &-4::before,
    &-5::before,
    &-6::before,
    &-7::before,
    &-8::before {
      content: '0';
      position: absolute;
    }
  }
}

Yeah, I thought of that, but it doesn’t play nice with git-diff, which also uses .line-number:before

Hmm really? What wasn’t working for you? It seems to work fine with git-diff for me:

The styles applied to the .line-number-{0-9}:before from the devtools. The content: "0" gets overridden by a content: " ", and if I add a !important, well…

Hmm that’s true but only if you manually enable Show Icons In Editor Gutter for git-diff - it should work fine out of the box though.

Aaaah, gotcha. Thanks :smile:

I wasn’t planning on adding a zero. I was just talking about making it fixed-width.

Wow, what a great community. Thanks for all the input! You’re probably right, just making the line number column a fixed width may be the best way. Pardon my ignorence here, but can someone show me how to do that? I’ve never used CSS or Git for that matter…

I tried out mnquintana’s solution and it did indeed pad zeros… But if you have 9 or less lines, the numbers one through 9 have the zero overplayed on top… Any idea how I can just set the width to be fixed without adding zeros to the front?