Can atom move my workspace to cloud someday?

Atom may be not another editor. I think it’s great if atom can brought my whole workspace on the cloud.

Can Atom be used as a web based IDE?
Deploy atom online
Cloud based editor?
Could the Atom text editor component be a module?
Cloud IDE or browser plugin
Adding Features to support Online Cross Platform working
Adding cloud storage support?
Run atom as hosted web application?
Store preferences on cloud
Atom in the cloud?
Why atom doesn't have this feature yet?
Atom / Electron hosted via NodeJS - Cloud IDE

Unfortunately, it seems the Atom developers wish it to only be a desktop application.

But native app still can do this.

There are dozens of cloud based development platforms available. I really like the desktop only direction they’re going.

Can you give me examples of good ones please?
I need ones that support HTML, CSS, JS, Python.
Thanks

Everyone thinks you mean to edit on the cloud, is that what meant or do you mean to store it on the cloud and edit it from a desktop?

Id like it if I could even run my local host on some other system while working from comfort of cloud editor, as not every notebook may run heavy servers.

This is a contradiction in terms. localhost is always going to be the machine you are working on. You can easily access a remote server from within Atom through a package like Remote Sync, Remote FTP, or Nuclide.

Atom doesn’t require “heavy servers” to run. For most things that Atom does, there is no client or server, local or otherwise. Atom builds a webpage and then changes it in memory in response to the user’s actions. This is a technique known as a single-page application.

I meant app that runs a bunch of libraries.

Right so this is awesome. I’ve searched for these packages using terms like cloud…

The problem there is that “cloud” with regard to a desktop application is nonspecific and also probably incorrect for this case. “The cloud” isn’t just a synonym for the Internet. Cloud computing is a specific term for a style of load distribution where machines in very different physical locations all have access to the same data and look like the same server from the outside, and the internal software is built on virtual machines that can easily be turned on or off as necessary.

Atom doesn’t know or care if the server that has your files is distributed or not. It doesn’t have to. It just has to know the protocol the server expects you to use to ask for files, and it has to know where to find your files. So asking the Atom package registry for “cloud” stuff isn’t going to turn up much, since Atom doesn’t have anything to do with cloud stuff. If you have an AWS server that you access via SFTP, that is “on the cloud”, but from the perspective of any program you use to connect to it, it is identical to a physical machine sitting in your room with an SSH daemon running.

Well yea I’m still uncertain as how I could actually host the server and have terminal via ftp

3 posts were split to a new topic: Networking question

Networking question

You might be thinking of something like Eclipse Che which lets you store your project on the cloud and work on your project using their cloud servers our your local host. The idea is that you can access your project from anywhere without necessarily bringing it with you.

I have not actually used this myself, but it does look interesting.

@Rastus_Vernon: I only see two reasons why you might think the developers wish this to be a desktop only application (by reading this webpage).

1. Filesystem access: Browsers cannot access local file systems.
  2. Compatibility with other browsers: Chromium supports what is needed without polyfills.

1 is solved by only allowing the remote filesystem to be accessed.
2 is solved by only supporting the Chromium browser accessing it. A warning message or blocking access by old versions of Chromium or non-Chromium web browsers would be an acceptable way to handle this requirement.

My purpose of wanting Atom running under NodeJS is to remotely use it on an embedded system (Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone). I’m also interested in having it run in a Docker for the Cloud and coding directly on a hosted website.

This is similar to Cloud9. Reason being, Atom is not only better by being cleaner, it is also better supported.
For Atom to transition to also being a Cloud IDE would be a huge success.

Is there better evidence that the developers do not want this to ever be a Cloud-based IDE?

• Upon further investigation, I found that this site identifies Electron, the framework Atom uses, as an external project. And it is that project which only supports (at the moment) Desktop. So it isn’t a question if Atom supports the web, or the (awesome) developers of Atom that will support the web. It is a question if all the apps listed on this site could supports the web. And thus there being multiple other possible Cloud-based IDE’s including Atom if this feature were implemented.

Just SSH in and use one of the remote editing packages or an SSHFS client to allow you to edit the files on your embedded system as if they were on your hard drive. That would be easier than trying to recode Atom for a purely web-based experience.

I’m also interested in having it run in a Docker for the Cloud and coding directly on a hosted website.

Any hosted web site is going to allow you to use SSH.

Upon further investigation, I found that this site identifies Electron, the framework Atom uses, as an external project. And it is that project which only supports (at the moment) Desktop.

For the same reason that Chrome only supports desktop. Electron is Node bundled with Chromium’s rendering engine. It’s not that it only supports desktop. All Electron is is a desktop-based technique for bundling web apps. If you want to put the same app on the web, you just don’t use Electron.

It is a question if all the apps listed on this site could supports the web.

Not all of them can, but some. Wordpress Desktop literally just has the Calypso web app dropped in at build time. I’m pretty sure Slack and Discord have similar approaches.

You can also consider this an official statement from the Atom team (since it is :slight_smile:):

Electron was originally named “Atom Shell” because it was designed and built specifically for Atom. It is true that we have two separate teams of developers working on Atom and Electron, but we all work for GitHub. I wouldn’t really characterize it as an “external project”.

With regard to Electron, there aren’t any plans to create a cloud- or server-based version of it either, because the web is already server-based by nature. We’re brining web technologies to the desktop from the server … we don’t need to schlep them right back, they’re already there :grinning:

eclipse che - cloud editor