Can Atom be built on node superior to v8.x?

Hi, I’m trying to build the current git HEAD (as of writing) on my arch system. It seems probable that Atom can’t be built on node.js of a version superior to v8.x.

I followed instructions found here:
https://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/hacking-on-atom-core/#platform-linux

The current git HEAD pulls dependencies, among which nan@2.7.0 (by way of another dependency I haven’t bothered researching as yet), and the subsequent build fails with the following build error appearing in the logs:

../../nan/nan_maybe_43_inl.h:112:15: error: « class v8:
:Object » n'a pas de membre nommé « ForceSet »
   return obj->ForceSet(isolate->GetCurrentContext(), k
ey, value, attribs);
               ^~~~~~~~

error: ‘class v8::Object’ has no member named ‘ForceSet’

It very well looks like nan was only changed to support node.js after v8.x somewhere between v2.7.0 and v.2.8.0 (and only made it into a release in v2.8.0):

Can someone confirm that node.js above v8.x is unsupported for building Atom? I’m happy to open an issue on github, but I would like confirmation before I go through the trouble.

% apm -v
(node:12650) ExperimentalWarning: The fs.promises API is experimental
apm  1.19.0
npm  6.0.1
node 10.1.0 x64
atom 1.26.1
python 2.7.15
git 2.17.0

The culprit seems to be electron-link@0.2.0 (see in atom/atom/script/package.json), which depends on leveldown@^1.6.0 (atom/electron-link/package.json).

leveldown@^1.6.0 is resolved as leveldown@1.9.0 which itself requires nan@~2.7.0 (Level/leveldown/package.json).

no link to the first package.json file on github because "new users can only put 2 links in a post, but it’s there at HEAD version.

After close inspection of the Node.js codebase, it looks like building on Node.js v9.x might work, since the commit on nodejs/node that removes v8::Object::ForceSet os tagged for Node.js v10.0.0 and v10.1.0.

Problem persists for Node.js v10.x though, obviously.

I ended up filing an issue on github.