Building Atom from source

Im trying to build atom from source yet when i rung the source/bootstrap command I get the following error

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\Jono\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache_logs\2018-07-16T15_26_45_592Z-debug.log
child_process.js:624
throw err;
^

Error: Command failed: npm.cmd --loglevel=error install
npm ERR! Unexpected end of JSON input while parsing near ‘…"_hasShrinkwrap":fals’

I cant find whats throwing the error or what Json the debugger is referring too

…So the next step I chose to try and download an earlier version of the Atom source
so I select version 1.7 in GIT and when I click the clone key it it gives me the url for the latest atom source … any idea how to get an earlier version of atoms source

Why?

when I click the clone key it it gives me the url for the latest atom source …

When you git clone a repo, it gives you everything. You just need to use git checkout to find the commit you want. However, you definitely don’t need git for this. The GitHub releases page has source code for each version.

Well when I choose to build the latest version I get that error so I thought go for a previous version … I found out how to get a previous version and those builds fail as well so maybe it’s my node version or something Im not too sure how to tackle it

According to the text of the error, it looks like a JSON file is incomplete. I don’t know how to solve that, but you can share the full log via a site like hastebin and maybe that will provide more information.

Why are you trying to build Atom from source?

I also thought so and the JSON file was updated on the master project three days ago

my reason was to

I was trying to replicate the Pane component with the docks for a separate project

All components in Atom are written in JavaScript. You don’t need to build it from source to look at and copy the Pane code.

will try it Thanks for the help