Brand new user to Python and Atom

Hello,

Just started learning Python and downloaded version Python 2.7.15 and the latest version of Atom (presumably?) to use as a text editor. I installed the “Script” and “platformio-ide-terminal” packages but when I try to run a line of code I get the following error:

‘python’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[Finished in 0.096s]

Like I said I am brand new to coding in general and do not know my way around so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

What happens when you open the Windows command prompt and type python --version?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.165]
© 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\wja19>python --version

C:\Users\wja19> python --version

Make sure to switch this option when installing Python:

(works the same with Python 2.x)

Okay, so since I had Python 2.7.15 installed before Atom I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that prompt did not pop up. This one did though:

Actually I think I found it on the next prompt although it looked different. I will try and see if it works.

After the install I tried the command prompt again and it looks like its recognizing Python now.

As a developer, it would be beneficial for you to learn how to read and edit the PATH yourself instead of relying on installers to set everything up correctly. It will become useful if you ever want to manually install a program, write your own installer, or set up a virtual environment (which is relatively common in some sectors of the Python ecosystem). This is one of those features that all major operating systems make frequent use of and gives programmers a lot of things they can do, but that non-developers aren’t exposed to until something breaks.

All right thanks for the advice and resource. I’ll definitely look into that.