Blue screen [Windows 7]


#1

I wonder if anyone else experience or has experienced a BSOD in relation to the Atom Text Editor on Windows 7 64-bit. I am not able to use Atom right now due to this. Whenever I click the Atom icon, or save a file my PC blue screens. (Keep in mind it’s not a 100% occurrence rate).

The packages I have installed are:
linter
js-linter
html linter
php linter
emmet

I really don’t want to be forced to stop using Atom because of this. It only recently started happening, though before this it had a tendency to crash 50% of my running programs when saving a file. I have not updated Atom or installed any packages since then


#2

I haven’t heard of anything like this happening before on any platform. I’d assume that there is a deeper issue besides Atom, but have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

  • Which version of Atom are you using?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

#3
$ atom --version 

returns nothing at all. Though “atom” launches atom.

I will follow the debug document including updating. I am not sure if I can successfully re-produce the issue without using --safe even. I’ve been trying for a while now. It’s weird how it blue screened twice in a row and now it doesn’t want to re-produce itself at once.

I’ve noticed one thing that Atom does that no other program on my taskbar does. Whenever I hover over Atom’s icon it makes my cursor a “loading cursor”. No other software seems to do this. I wonder if it’s related.

I will respond if it happens again / if it doesn’t for a long time

Edit: After using it some more explorer.exe crashed. This does not happen unless I have atom open…

Edit 2: It seems to have been one of the linters causing the problem. I disabled all of them and now I have not been experiencing any of the issues I mentioned above


#4

@Marcuzz There’s simply no way that Atom itself could cause a BSOD on your machine, I’d recommend running some serious hardware checks first. More than likely I’d imagine that there is a memory corruption issue. Please download a copy of MemTest86+ put it onto a USB stick and leave it testing your machine overnight.

Failing that, perhaps a hard-drive scan, or run some CPU intensive tests.


#5

I figured out what it was. It was one of the linters, most likely the php linter as it uses PHP processes to whip it’s magic.


#6

I’m sorry buddy, but I still find it very unlikely that’s the real cause. It could be that the PHP linter stores a lot of information in memory, thus using segments of your memory that are rarely used otherwise. I’d still definitely recommend running a MemTest.


#7

I’ll do one soon. I just find it odd how the problems stopped occurring when I disabled the linters I had.