Autoclose-html package duplicates ending tags

My Atom just updated to Atom 1.3.1.

Now if I’m editing an XHTML5 file I enter <p>, Atom places </p></p> after that. I don’t know how this got past testing, but this is pretty much a show-stopper bug—how can edit XHTML5 when Atom adds two ending tags every time I add an open one?

So here’s the problem: I had autoclose-html installed, and I had disabled it, reenabled it, and then disabled it again. It was shown as disabled, but apparently Atom’s disable/enable mechanism is the real culprit here, because apparently autoclose-html was registered multiple times and was thus adding ending tags multiple times—even though that plugin was shown as disabled.

Could you explain please how you found this out? Is there a type of package installation history somewhere?

Thanks!

You can try this yourself:

1. Install the autoclose-html plugin.
  2. Go to File > Settings > Packages and select Disable for the autoclose-html plugin, but do not restart Atom.
  3. Without leaving the window, select Enable for the autoclose-html plugin, but do not restart Atom.
  4. Open up an XHTML5 file and enter <p>. You’ll get </p></p> added for you automatically.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 to get lots of extra </p>s.

Actually, Atom’s disable/enable mechanism depends on packages doing the right thing in their deactivate method, i.e. cleaning up after themselves and removing the things they add. If you take a look at the code in autoclose-html.coffee:

There is no deactivate method created and nothing is ever cleaned up. You should probably open a bug on the package to let them know they need to fix this :grinning:

Thanks for looking into this. But (sigh) so many bugs to file that I haven’t got any work done this afternoon. I’m trying out Atom for editing XHTML5 files. But nothing works. No really—nothing.

• linter-tidy doesn’t lint. (I’ve commented on the StackOverflow question someone had already filed.)
  • linter-htmlhint freaks out at an XML declaration of an XHTML5 file. (I filed two bugs, one for linter-htmlhint and another for htmlhint. At htmlhint they told me they don’t support XML.)
  • atom-beautify sees the XML declaration of an XHTML5 document, and indents the entire document! (I filed a bug.)
  • Now I just try to Toggle Soft Wrap in Atom, but 1) there’s no shortcut key, 2) there’s no notification in the menu that it’s turned on, 3) it is on a per-file basis, and 4) it isn’t “sticky” in that I have to go through the whole process everytime I start editing just to get things wrapped again. This has already been discussed, but nobody’s done anything about it.

(Whew.) I am positively tired of filing bugs today…

My soft-wrap-indicator package solves the indication problem of whether a file has Soft Wrap turned on and also makes it easy to toggle by clicking the indicator in the status bar.

As far as “per-file” basis, if you want certain file types to be soft-wrapped by default then you can go into the settings for that package and check “Soft Wrap”. Here’s how I did that for Markdown files:

1. Launch Atom
  2. Open the Settings View using Cmd+, on OS X or Ctrl+, on other platforms
  3. Click the Packages tab
  4. Search for language-gfm
  5. Click the Settings button on the language-gfm tile
  6. Scroll down to and check “Soft Wrap”

By default, all Markdown files will be soft wrapped after that.