AtomHelper High CPU Usage

Atom appears to be using excessive CPU. Even when I have no windows open. I’m still trying to figure out how to reproduce.

• OS X 10.8.4
  • Atom 0.64.0 (I don’t believe it’s specific to this version)

Atom Memory Hog
Performance issue
Multiple "Atom Helper" processes hogging memory
Opening a bunch of tabs causes atom to use 100% CPU and not respond
High CPU Usage When Saving/Opening
Atom eats my CPU
Atom Helper move tab use 100% cup
Abnormally high cpu usage
Memory utilization
Coreservicesd/launchservicesd eat a lot of CPU

I am having the same issue on my machine.
Using version 0.7.10

rMBP Late 2013
OS X 10.9.2

Same problem here.

• OS X 10.8.5
  • Atom 0.71.0

Same for me.
rMBP late 2013

It’s even worse when working in --dev with a few windows… but let’s not forget it’s still a great beta :smiley:

Can you all give some indication of what it was you were doing before the high CPU usage? Or is it just any time you launch Atom?

Are you all on Retina MacBook Pros?

Same problem here. 10.9.2, also rMBP. I can reproduce the Atom Helpers bouncing to 100% cpu by simplying doing FIle -> Open… – every time i command-tab to the application afterwards spawns another Atom Helper app using 100% of a CPU.

@leedohm I am on a rMBP yep.
Not doing anything special for me, just hacking away on a few files will do but it is especially true if I am, for ex, working on a ui and syntax theme opened in -d mode then it chews battery quite a bit so much actually that I had to switch to sublime… and I don’t wanna do that anymore :wink:

Ok … sounds like it might be something specific to the rMBP. I know I’m not hitting this issue and I use an iMac and just a regular MBP. Would all of you mind giving the following?

• If you’re using an rMBP
  • Version of Atom
  • Version of OS X
  • What your screen and resolution settings are at the time of the issue
    • Are you plugged into an external monitor? And, if so, how? i.e. Thunderbolt/DisplayPort, USB, etc
    • Are you running two (or more) screens?
    • Are you using screen scaling or native res?
    • What resolution are you running?

My suspicion is that if this is an issue specific to rMBP, it might be something to do with screen scaling. But since I’m not a member of the team, I’m just guessing.

@leedohm

• rMBP
  • Atom 0.71.0
  • OSX 10.9.1
  • No ext monitor
  • Screen scaling ( looks like 1680x1050 )

Let me know if you need anything else mate.

• 2013 rMBP w/ 2.7GHz i7 & 16GB memory
  • Thunderbolt display
  • Atom 0.71.0

Will sometimes be smooth, and sometimes the Atom Helper hits %100 and it crashes to it’s knees… triggers seem to be random… sometimes opening a new pane, sometimes searching in project for file, sometimes just typing… Saving often triggers it too.

• rMBP
  • Atom 0.71.0
  • OSX 10.9.2
  • Currently no external monitor
  • Problem occurs with both screen scaling (looks like 1680x1050) and native resolution. (quit/restarted app between changes)

Anyone see this and not have a rMBP?

I’m not rMBP but I do have a HiDPI (1680x1050) MBP.

Well, that blows my theory out of the water :laughing:

Same here,

• rMBP 13"
  • Atom v0.71.0
  • OS X 10.9.2
  • Plugged with an external display via Thunderbolt.
  • The external display is in 2560 x 1440 resolution and is not mirrored with rMBP’s built-in display.
  • The built-in display is in native resolution.
  • Atom is on the external display.

I have another MacBook Air, I’ll check this issue on it later.

An update to my earlier post:

rMBP Late 2013 - 16GB Ram, i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.2

Connected to Thunderbolt display running at 2560 x 1440
rMBP screen not in use.

I’m not sure if this helps, I was running the spotify plugin, and I enabled the “Show Equalizer” option (although it’s just a looped animation) once I disabled it and restarted atom the cpu went back down to around 5/6% again.

Today however the entire app itself is feeling very slow, 3/4 tabs open, one window and it’s very sluggish copy and pasting small chunks of text. Typing is slow etc. Can’t pin point what cause it. Its seems to slow down the longer I use the app, it is the way it handles history/steps?

Same issue here. High memory and CPU consumption.

MAC OS X 10.9.2

2 screenshots added:

Tried with and without spotify running… I’ve had conflicts with it before (Steam). No change in behavior.

I’m able to affect the behavior using the Rdio plugin. A clean startup of Atom with an open file yields normal CPU usage. When I start playing Rdio (and the status bar on Atom starts indicating the paying track), the Atom Helper process runs at around 27%.

If I pause Rdio, Atom Helper spikes to 100%, regardless of whether I start or stop playback again.

If I quit Rdio, Atom Helper drops back down to near-idle usage.

Maybe it has something to do with the library that is being used to monitor the playing status in this case? I’m sure other plugins are using the same thing…

rMBP, early 2013, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, 10.9.2

Ok, that’s a great test. Can everyone try this:

1. Exit any running instances of Atom
  2. mv ~/.atom/packages ~/.atom/backup-packages
  3. Launch Atom
  4. See if you can reproduce the issue

Maybe it is a package or combination of packages?