Atom working consideration

I am pretty shocked that:

• Atom packages are installed via the GUI only.

• The alternative is to clone a full repository, open command line and using apm to install it (and the repo is not deleted)

• The configuration and working files are scattered across several places.

• No documentation mention how to set a self hosted delivery package system.

• No where it is written how the package feed works.

This brings the considerations for security because corporates, even small ones, block internet interaction with tools, because:

• You want us to take for granted that all the packages have no trojan, no vulnerability, no back doors.

Seriously guys, your community claims Atom to be a modern “editor”. Based on what? Who has published a such crap tool?

What next?

Wrong. You can use apm, as mentioned in the documentation.

Wrong. See above.

What makes you think so? About every setting that is meant to be changed is stored in config.cson.

Since apm is a fork of npm, I’d start by looking at the npm documentation on this.

See above.

In a nutshell, Atom is based on Electron, which itself is based upon Node and V8. It’s published by GitHub Inc. :heart:

That depends on the scope of “next”. The next version of Atom is 1.32. In the long run, it might (or might not) be Xray.

I hope you have a wonderful day, glad I could help!

apm install works just like npm install: give it a name and it will pull the package from the Internet.

The alternative is to clone a full repository, open command line and using apm to install it (and the repo is not deleted)

You want your source code to be deleted when you install it? It’s JavaScript, so that would delete the package.

No documentation mention how to set a self hosted delivery package system.

Anyone who needs this should have the expertise to set it up on their own. Atom’s developers are not responsible for implementing your corporate IT security protocol.

You want us to take for granted that all the packages have no trojan, no vulnerability, no back doors.

No, because all the source code is visible. You can read every line of it, after it has been installed (because all of the code is unencrypted on your machine).

Seriously guys, your community claims Atom to be a modern “editor”. Based on what?

Based on the fact that it edits documents. Seriously, if you want your complaint to be taken seriously, don’t do something silly like claim that Atom isn’t actually an editor. It edits files, therefore it’s an editor. An editor does not have to have all of the features you desire, especially when it’s provided as an open-source project. If you want to clone all of the packages you like and perform checksum hashing to make sure that every machine on your network has exactly the same version of activate-power-mode, go for it. But nobody is responsible for helping you build that infrastructure. If you ask nicely, then some people might be willing to lend you ideas. So far, you have done the opposite of asking nicely.

Thank you for the time you had to reply to my question.

No offence, but did you understand my questions?

Let’s start:

1. Install plugin offline READ: COMPUTER NOT CONNECTED ON INTERNET

C:\Applications\Atom_Editor\bin>apm install C:\Applications\Atom_Editor\Plugins\Hydrogen
Installing C:\Applications\Atom_Editor\Plugins\Hydrogen to C:\Applications\Atom_Editor.atom\packages failed
Request for package information failed: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN atom.io:443 (EAI_AGAIN)

1. Configuration and working directory scattered in multiple places
  • Working directory is located in C:\Users<name>.atom . . . . really? An Application running in the user directory? Have you ever heard of PROXY USERS???
  1. How are you supposed to install a plugin on off-line machines?
  • Even cloning the repository doesn’t work anyway. See point 1 error above
  1. Command line install
  • Do you know that NOT EVERYONE has access to CLI? Have you ever worked in a Corporate Environment?
  1. P.S.: my environment has a customized configuration file as per a thread I read a while ago in this same blog

I will start a new thread suggesting things to improve and things to eliminate . . . if you accept suggestion as stated (^__^)

Fine ideas. Perhaps you should talk to the developers about them.
As this forum is mainly users helping users, you might need to go to the Github project.
I am sure they’ll love you plenty for volunteering your design time.

Mario, thanks in advance for your efforts.

. . . . really?

Have you ever heard of PROXY USERS???

You honestly don’t have any idea how to ask questions nicely? Perhaps you were born and raised in a bubble of very angry people who yell at each other all the time, so you have no experience with how the rest of the world interacts with each other, but I’m here to burst that bubble. Since you’re all rich and corporate, go pay someone to teach you how to behave and then come back with your suggestions.

I am simply annoyed to find a solution of a “bad advertised tool” that it is! It is also sold as the “Next Generation Tool” . . . imagine there was a licence involved in there?

I repeat, no offence, but have the developers ever thought to make it better than the existing ones? My answer is no!

If you would like any feedback, you must appreciate any complaints . . . to make a better tool.

First you complain about one thing and once a second solution is offered, it doesn’t satisfy you either. What would a third option next to GUI and CLI (read: non-GUI) even be?

It’s true that Atom doesn’t offer any means for offline installation, while the other popular Electron-based editor – Visual Studio Code – offers to install *.vsix files (basically a Zip file containing all package files and node_modules.) I think the .asar format would be an excellent choice for that.

On the other hand, I understand that scans for vulnerabilities are automated, likely through a third-party service. It makes no difference, whether you perform such a scan in real-time or not. So maybe it’s your IT department that’s :poop:

This has been common ever since the very first version of Google’s Chrome was released and is now adopted even by Microsoft.

You are entirely too presumptuous in saying that Atom was poorly advertised. You’re asking for highly specific features for a niche userbase (people in high-security work environments) where people in that situation usually have the expertise to set things up on their own. Atom was designed by open-source contributors and web app designers who do not share your security needs.

Also, I gather that English isn’t your first language, but “no offense” doesn’t mean that you get to then say something offensive. Yes, we understand your questions. No, what you want isn’t a priority for everyone. If you had any hope of making a persuasive argument to convince people that it should be considered an important feature to have a documented process for setting up a private registry, then that hope rode on making a well-reasoned case in favor of your cause. What you’ve done is accuse and insult the developers, and then follow that up with belittlement of random people on the Internet who come to help you.

Gays, seriously.

Sent us your thoughts . . . so when someone does touch your baby you shoot them.

English is your second language? Actually is my 5th, as I speak 3 fluently and 2 conversational level.

Attacking to personal level. Really? Are you twelve?

Let’s see who dare to give a feedback on these:

1. The tool is poorly designed. Needs improvements
  2. Is so retro that you need Command Line to work
  3. Make the install user friendly aka let the use decide the path
  4. It has to work off-line, particulary when installing the plugins

Let’s see . . . .

And none of them taught you that insults are a poor way to start a conversation. Well, I’m glad to be able to lance that particular raging boil. Now you know, and you won’t be calling anyone an idiota or dummkopf when you’re trying to ask them for help. Right? Right?

Attacking to personal level. Really? Are you twelve?

I’m not the one going on a random forum and yelling about a “crap tool” and questioning whether it’s actually an editor when the real issue is that open-source philosophy and corporate IT policies don’t mix.

The tool is poorly designed. Needs improvements

Just like literally everything humans have ever built. Tell us something new.

Is so retro that you need Command Line to work

No it doesn’t. You can also install packages through the GUI. :slight_smile:

(PS. CLIs are still useful for lots of things.)

Make the install user friendly aka let the use decide the path

If that’s what you wanted, you could have asked and we could have provided the answer. But you just had to rant and act “shocked” and “appalled” at Atom not supporting you in everything. (It doesn’t support anyone in everything, but the rest of us are interested in increasing our own skills and working with Atom and we figure it out or ask for help nicely.)

It has to work off-line, particulary when installing the plugins

It does work offline and you can install packages offline, if you have them (and all of their dependencies) downloaded first. But the developers are under no obligation to give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

I have recommended my Organisation to find a professional tool and dump this nonsense

Have you included a link to this thread so they can see how you conduct yourself online? :slight_smile:

Very unprofessional people, from admin to moderators without mentioning the contributors and you aspire to be the next “developer’s generation”?

Do you know that this thread will go to every single social media?

If you have burned this tool

In the last 8 months I have observed in some brands of goods, an increase of disgruntled posts in their technical forums. In one of these cases it seems clear that the disgruntled posts are sponsored by a competing brand.

Interesting times we live in.

Perhaps individual and even brands become insignificant if there is not some sort of grand display on social platforms about them. Shall we feed this topic some more?

@danPadric I am not a competitor not a jealous developer, I am a mere potential user. I was introduced to atom by a colleague who wants to use it in the Organisation. I like the overall GUI and way of presenting the code and possibility of expansion.

Over the weeks Atom started to remind me of the 1990s when you had to be an hacker, a programmer, a network engineer a computer scientist to operate a tool.

Also if you have read the idiotic @DamnedScholar reply: “But the developers are under no obligation to give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it” . . . How can you take this forum, the developers even the product taken seriously with a such reply?

Potential ten of thousands users, even the ones willing to paid a PREMIUM LICENCE, will go elsewhere. Trust me in this.

Yes I am angry, you’ll have lots of angry users . . . learn good manners or go to an isolated island

This is my last comment . . . I will return as customer when I see improvements.

This is my last comment . . . I will return as customer when I see improvements.

Good thing Atom’s open-source and has no customers or licenses.