Atom won't recognise MikTex, TeX Live

My process has been:

Install Atom, TeX Live and MikTex (was gonna check out which I liked better). Install the latex (0.43.0) package and some accompanying packages to compliment it. Tried compiling my first document and failed. Installed Perl, installed latexmk via TeX Live. It didn’t work, but when I tried compiling I got a popup (from MiKTeX?) asking how I’d like to install packages (internet, folder …), from where, etc. Clicked OK with whatever the default option was and I think latexmk was installed. Tried compiling again and it worked.

I’d like to use Atom for academic writing so I installed textgreek, but I have no idea how to get it to work with Atom. It’s installed in MiKTeX … but now what? How do I get it to show up in Atom?

Have you followed the instructions on how to use latexmk?

The only way for Atom to know about anything is if a package tells it what’s up. In what way do you believe textgreek should “show up”?

At the moment I have a simple tex file:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{textgreek}

\begin{document}

\textalpha

\end{document}

Before, I thought simply having textgreek installed in MiKTeX would be enough for Atom to know what the \textalpha command was. I’m following a LaTeX guide now and noticed you can import packages, so I added the \usepackage{textgreek} command. Whenever I run this using the latex or atom-latex packages, I get a prompt from MiKTeX to install a package (at least I’m pretty sure it’s from MiKTeX …). According to the package manger GUI it installs cbfonts-fd and greek-fontenc. However, the compiler hangs and I never get an output file.

I feel like I’m missing something fundamentally wrong. Help?

(Also, is there any difference between the latex and atom-latex packages you can get from the package installer? Is one better than the other?)

What you’re missing is that Atom doesn’t know about any of that. latex might, but only if it’s set up to do so. Every task that requires an external program is executed just like a behind-the-scenes command-line instruction. So when you instruct latex to do a thing, it is sending an instruction to the specific program that handles the function it wants.

Please screenshot this prompt, so we can see it.

According to the package manger GUI it installs cbfonts-fd and greek-fontenc. However, the compiler hangs and I never get an output file.

What about opening the package manager directly and seeing if those two are installed?

(Also, is there any difference between the latex and atom-latex packages you can get from the package installer? Is one better than the other?)

I have no idea because I haven’t used either.