Atom won't open from command line or launcher

Atom was working fine yesterday. I opened it again this evening but no window came up. It froze in the opening process. I tried rebooting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling ( I had 1.0.8, on 1.0.19 now) and none of that worked. When I type atom -t I get:

[6949:1007/185026:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(173)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[6949:1007/185027:WARNING:accelerator_util.cc(185)] Invalid accelerator token: command
[6949:1007/185027:WARNING:accelerator_util.cc(185)] Invalid accelerator token: command
[6980:1007/185027:INFO:renderer_main.cc(200)] Renderer process started
[6949:1007/185027:INFO:CONSOLE(46)] "Window load time: 677ms", source: file:///usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/static/index.js (46)

If I just type atom in the terminal I get the following:

~/usr/bin/atom: line 91: /home/user/.atom/nohup.out: Permission denied
[2188:0907/173851:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
Arguments to path.join must be strings
Error reading compiled file TypeError: Arguments to path.join must be strings
    at Object.posix.join (path.js:449:13)
    at readCachedJavascript (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:81:24)
    at require.install.retrieveSourceMap (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:125:22)
    at mapSourcePosition (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:132:21)
    at wrapCallSite (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:295:20)
    at /usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:330:26
    at Array.map (native)
    at Function.prepareStackTrace (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:329:24)
    at process.<anonymous> (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:29:14)
    at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
Error reading compiled file TypeError: Arguments to path.join must be strings
    at readCachedJavascript (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:81:24)
    at require.install.retrieveSourceMap (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:125:22)
    at mapSourcePosition (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:132:21)
    at wrapCallSite (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:295:20)
    at /usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:330:26
    at Array.map (native)
    at Function.prepareStackTrace (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/node_modules/source-map-support/source-map-support.js:329:24)
    at process.<anonymous> (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:29:14)
    at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
TypeError: Arguments to path.join must be strings
    at Object.exports.setAtomHomeDirectory (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:19:21)
    at setupCompileCache (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:116:25)
    at start (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:37:5)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:206:3)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/atom/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:208:4)
    at Module._compile (module.js:452:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:470:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:347:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:302:12)
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

Not really sure what to do, I can see that at the start it said permission denied, do I need to change permissions or something?
I’ve been looking for a solution and found something where some people had similar issues, but it didn’t seem like they solved anything.

Try closing all instances of Atom and rm ~/.atom/nohup.out, use sudo if you have to (make sure though that you’re using the correct $HOME :stuck_out_tongue:).

Hey, so I did sudo rm ~/.atom/nohup.out so now when I open atom from the terminal I don’t get any error messages, but I still don’t get the atom window to show up. If I double click on the icon in the side menu (ubuntu 15) it just goes to my background and the brightness is lowered, meaning it hasn’t opened fully. Any other suggestions?

Try closing all instances of Atom again, then mv ~/.atom ~/.atom.bak and start Atom again, if it still doesn’t work, start Atom in safe mode with atom --safe. How did you install Atom by the way?

It still won’t open, even in safe mode. I installed it with sudo apt-get install atom. When I try to download the .deb from atom.io, it always tries to open it in ubuntu software centre anyways. Should I try straight from the site again?

As far as I know there’s no official ppa release channel yet, so yeah, try installing the .deb from atom.io. You can run sudo dpkg -i path/to/atom-1.x.deb to install it.

You are correct, there is no official PPA release channel currently.

Yeah you’re right I didn’t use apt-get. I just opened it with software centre from my downloads.

sudo dpkg -i path/to/atom-1.x.deb'dpkg: error processing archive path/to/atom-1.x.deb (–install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
path/to/atom-1.x.deb`

You should replace path/to/atom-1.x.deb with the actual path to the .deb file on your computer, I’m sorry I wasn’t clear about that.

Oh haha sorry, I’m kind of new to linux and don’t want to mess anything up so I’m copying exactly what you write. I put the proper path in but it’s still not opening. I tried safe mode too and still nothing.

Any other suggestions? I could probably back up all my files and re-install ubuntu. But I’ll only do that if all else fails. The things we do for Atom haha

But there is an unofficial one I’m about to try. https://github.com/alanfranz/atom-text-editor-repository.

I don’t know if this is actually a PPA but it seems to accomplish the same thing`.

I think I’m going to have to reinstall ubuntu. I just went into a guest session and was able to open Atom from the command line. I am also sure that I didn’t install anything since the last time I was able to open Atom.

You could still try to remove ~/.config/Atom/, but I really doubt that’s going to solve anything…