Atom will freeze and not respond

When I open Atom and open dev tools it will sometimes freeze up and not respond to any clicks, I have to then force it close. This happens from time to time with normal use and not just in dev tools.

OS X 10.9.2

Not sure what other information I can provide to help out.

Opening a bunch of tabs causes atom to use 100% CPU and not respond

Totally unrelated, but you should probably upgrade Mavericks to 10.9.2

I noticed Atom stops responding when alert() is called. Is one of your packages invoking this method?

I am only using the default packages Atom came with.

I also upgraded to 10.9.2, it was already to go but needed to be installed.

Updating OS X fixed the issue?

Just finished testing and no

Any way to get an error log or error output?

Same issue, it was working correctly for 6-7hours. I thought it was a package that I installed, so I made a clean install, removed ~/.atom too, but no effect…

I can just tell, it’s when I try to open a new file, the file is showing up, but without color on syntax and then it freezes.

I think I will try the Windows trick, uninstall and reinstall :smile:

mine has done the same. it seems to peg the Atom Helper process running the CPU 100% or so. happens if i load a few files. then i get Editor not responding, always have to close

If you open up Console.app does it have any Atom crashes or Atom errors?

I will give that a try. there was a slight improvement after the reinstall but I did not give it much time to test as deadlines don’t move over for the hottest thing to hit the web in a while.

2/28/14 10:46:56.235 AM Atom Helper[4964]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

Hmm, on the Chromium issue they tells it’s fixed with 10.9.

This is fixed for 10.9

Not for me :rage3:

yea I have the same error, also running 10.9.2

2/28/14 10:29:19.898 AM Atom[4345]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

2/28/14 10:29:20.257 AM Atom Helper[4386]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

Always seems to lock up when i open several files. the Atom Helper is the process I see showing up running at 100%

Same error here too. every time I open a saved file or open the dev tools

2/28/14 8:39:48.751 AM Atom[32978]: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. http://crbug.com/45650

Sorry about these frustrating issues everyone.

Do you by chance have soft-wrap enabled with a syntax theme other than the default Atom Light/Dark? If so, I have probably fixed your issue on master.
It involves an edge case that’s triggering an infinite loop in the soft wrap code. Keep us posted after v0.63.0 is released.

Some things that would be helpful when these kinds of problems come up:

• Is Atom Helper chilling at 100%?
  • Can you open the dev tools? If so, try hitting pause in the debugger and post us a screen shot so we can figure out if we’re in an infinite loop.

Sorry again and thanks for your patience. We weren’t lying when we called it a beta. :slight_smile:

Atom debugging?

No problem. Great job so far. I do have a different theme and It does fix the issue for me disabling soft-wrap. I will check back with 0.63

no custom theme but I have made css changes to the default theme, I have also turn off soft-wrap and so far so good.

Soft wrap and custom theme user too :slight_smile: will check that at home. Thanks for reply!

Edit: Didn’t know that the console what still available! That’s awesome

Good to know!

Can confirm, Soft Wrap will crash when opening a file with a lot of fixture data!

Since the 0.194, my Atom often freeze when I search a package or open Dev Tools.