Atom tries to launch Bluetooth service?

Hello, I noticed in my system log that whenever I launch Atom, it appears to try launch a bluetooth related service (bluez.org).

dbus-daemon[793]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.bluez' unit='dbus-org.bluez.service' requested by ':1.90' (uid=1000 pid=3561 comm="/opt/atom/atom --executed-from=/home/user/misc.f" label="unconfined")

It’s not an issue but I certainly made me curious. Can anyone tell me what it’s about? Some kind of special feature?

Hmmm I don’t think I’ve seen that mentioned before and didn’t see anything particularly related in issues. What log file is that and what version of Linux are you running? Also if you start Atom in safe mode (atom --safe) do you see the same thing (wonder if a community package could be involved)?

I’m on Ubuntu 18.04. The logfile is /var/log/syslog.

Launching Atom in --safe mode made no difference, nor did disabling all user-installed packages, i.e. those that don’t ship with Atom.

Are you using any Bluetooth input devices, e.g. a keyboard or mouse?

That’s what atom --safe does, there’s no need to disable the packages one by one

Not using any bluetooth devices, have disabled autostart services related to it.

Oops, ok! :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I don’t see the same thing in syslog but I’m running in a VM so not sure if that makes a difference.

Curious what version of Atom you’re running and how did you install it?

I’m running Atom 1.26.1 installed on Ubuntu 18.04 via the webupd8team PPA.

FYI, the latest stable Atom version is 1.28.1

Thanks, I wasn’t aware. The PPA I mentioned now writes that the official repo should be used. Not sure when this note was added. I’ve switched to the official repo and am using the latest stable release.

The bluetooth activation message remains. Maybe it has something to do with the underlying Electron framework?

Yeah that seems possible too. I wonder if I’m not seeing the message because I’m running Ubuntu in a VM? Do you have any other Electron apps you can try to see if the same message is logged?