Atom suddenly freezing all the time

Hi,

i have a problem at the moment that my atom simply simply freezes all the time. It started a couple of days for no apparent reason (no updates or anything like that, at least that i know of) and continues to happen in even shorter frequency.

What happens is that Atom simply totally freezes. No unresponsive warning or anything. I can close the application normally, but most of the time starting Atom again just opens a blank Atom window in a frozen state. Completely rebooting my system seems to help, but that is obviously not a solution.

I have tried to start atom in savemode via --save but that didn’t help. I also tried atom --clear-window-state which sometimes seems to help a little bit, which means it does not totally freeze for some moments before freezing again. I disabled all my community packages leaving only the core packages enabled, but it does not resolve any of the issues.

I don’t really know how to further troubleshoot the issue. Maybe i can get some help here.

I am on Ubuntu 14.04.
Atom : 1.23.3
Electron: 1.6.15
Chrome : 56.0.2924.87
Node : 7.4.0

Not sure if the above is a typo but safe mode is atom --safe, is that the command you ran?

Also, are you doing anything in particular when Atom freezes or does it happen randomly?

Uh yes a tipo. Of course its atom --safe and it does not help my cause, atom keeps freezing.

I noticed that it happens in only, or more often (not sure yet), in a larger PHP project, not a react-native project.

Please give me any advice at the moment my editor which took some time to setup according to my needs is just not usable…

I just noticed in safe mode if you wait long enough the window gets grayed out, trying to close it via killall atom command results in a “The editor has crashed” window, hitting the reload button then turns the editor into a whitescreen.

How large is this project?

You mentioned originally:

It started a couple of days for no apparent reason (no updates or anything like that, at least that i know of) and continues to happen in even shorter frequency.

So you were working on the same PHP project before with no problem on Atom 1.23.3?

Also can confirm how you installed Atom (e.g. with the .deb from https://atom.io)?

Hi rsese, first you are correct i installed it from the deb file. The project is not that large, i cannot really say if other PHP projects are also affected atm. As for the Version, the same thing happened in 1.22.xx, before i tried to fix it by updating Atom. But that being said it was running without any problems in 1.22.xx for a longer time until the problems suddenly appeared (as i noted without apparent reason like any update).

Hmmm, not sure what could have changed when the problem suddenly appeared. If you copy the project to some other directory, do you have the same problem?

Hi rsese, sorry it took a little bit and thanks for trying to help. I know it’s a hard problem to tackle because it is not really reproducible, but i think i found something.

I am almost certain this happens when using my chromium browsers debugger and an error occurs there. Could it have anything to do with it? Can i find stacktraces or logs somewhere that might help the cause?

I haven’t come across reports of that before, not sure if it’s related (though if you can never reproduce if you don’t have Chromium open at all, that does seem interesting?).

Can i find stacktraces or logs somewhere that might help the cause?

You can leave the devtools console open and see if any errors show up there or start Atom in the foreground with atom --foreground. There will probably be some unrelated messages but maybe something interesting will pop up.

One more thing you could try is to install the latest 1.25 beta in case the issue you’re having is specific to Atom rather than your system and is maybe resolved by the updates in the beta.

Hi rsese,

now that i got a suspicion i can reproduce it! I will try to figure out some more information.

I fact it is due the an error that occurs in my chromium-browser. Does not matter if the debugger is used or not. Atom is frozen until i close the culprit chromium window. Then atom works again like a charm. Crazy cross-program issue?

I will do more investigation now i can reproduce!

Just a little update on that matter: Freezing happens i.e. when code is executed inside the window.onerror callback, as well on some breakpoints which i also think are inside a stack called from some kind of callback.