Atom stopped working

I downloaded atom today to be able to follow Kidscancode’s python tutorial. I could open it and everything seemed to work just fine. My first issue was with importing python 3, after trying to solve it in the config I got a larger issue. Now when I open atom I no windows are opened and my ONLY option in the menu-bar is to quit. I have deleted atom and reinstalled it but the issue remains.

I am using Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1

//Nordic Cheese

How did you try to solve it? Are you talking about Atom’s config.cson file? If you made changes to that, you should share them with us. It’s possible that that’s why Atom isn’t opening.

What happens if you run Atom from the Terminal with atom --safe?

Thanks for the answer!
Yes I am talking about the config.cson file. I added the following
    running:
          python “usr/local/bin/python3”

I already have python 3 installed with pip and it worked when I used IDLE. I don’t understand how to start atom in safe mode, it doesn’t work when I write “atom --safe” in terminal.

I meant the whole config.cson file, unaltered. You can use a site like Hastebin to copy and paste it. However, I might have the answer. Based on the lines you shared with me, you need a colon in between your key and your value:

python: "/usr/local/bin/python3"

Thank you! That might very well be the solution to the python 3 issue, however my main issue still remains. I cant do anything in atom, this is what it looks like when I open it. 53

Have you fixed config.cson? Have you made sure that every line is valid CSON? Before we can move on and try other things, you need to verify for me that you’re not opening Atom with an invalid configuration file. Because that’s what it sounds like. The problem started when you changed the config file, and chances are good that it will be fixed when the program can read its own configuration.

No, I can’t find my config.cson file. I have been looking in /usr in Finder but I don’t find anything.

It’s at ~/.atom/config.cson. If you have dotfiles hidden, that could be why you can’t see it.

I have made all files in finder visible but I still can’t find it. When I type “.cson” in finder search I get no search results.

I have also been trying to find the Atom folder where you say the cson-file is stored. According to this link the default location for this folder is /usr/local/bin/ but mine is not there. Atom config directory locations?

The default directory is always in your user folder. Open the Terminal and type cd ~/.atom and you’ll get there.

You were right, it was in my user folder. This is what my cson-file looks like https://hastebin.com/qiwotupoci.bash

Look at the final line:

python: "/usr/local/bin/python3”

See how the last quote is different? Normal quotes all point the same way, and code editors don’t do the thing that forum software and rich-text editors do of converting normal quotes to smart quotes, so you most likely introduced it through copying some code from this forum that wasn’t properly formatted. If you fix that line, Atom should run.

python: "/usr/local/bin/python3"

Yea, that’s it! Thank you so much for all the help!

Unfortunately I still can’t import python, I get this error https://hastebin.com/uweguzicic.sql

And is there supposed to be a module called pygame? Does the program work when run directly in the terminal? Is it using the correct version of Python (that also has pygame installed)?

Yes I think so. The code works when I run it in IDLE. I have installed python 3 with pip

Do you have any other versions of Python on your computer? When you open Terminal and type python --version, what do you see?

Yes I also have python 2.7. When I type in python --version I see Python 2.7.10

What happens when you run this?

import sys
print(sys.version)

2.7.10 (default, Jul 15 2017, 17:16:57)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.31)]