Atom quits on startup

I’ve used Atom for a while, but now when I open it, it simply quits. I’m on macOS (10.12.3), and when launching it its icon shows briefly in the dock and disappears.

When running /Applications/Atom.app/Contents/MacOS/Atom from the command line, it just shows:

[warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0

And quits.

Probably not related, but maybe - this started happening after running VS Code for the first time.

Have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging guide? Specifically the part about clearing saved state may be the thing you’re looking for.

Yes, I have and it didn’t help.

What about the part on crash logs? Did you find any?

It didn’t generate any crash logs.

In other news, just like that it started working again. I have no idea what caused the problem and what fixed it. I know that it isn’t just a restart because I’ve tried that.

I also have this error now. Very weird

Just got the same problem. Was working fine, switched user to do something else and when I came back Atom won’t start. Running with atom -f just gives this:

$ atom -f

Nothing else, then it just exits, with exit code 0 no less …

I have tried this:

• Running atom --clear-window-state.
  • Renaming the ~/.atom/packages folder.
  • Removing the ~/.atom/storage folder.
  • Removing Atom and installing it again.
  • Renaming the entire ~/.atom folder.

No dice. Running 1.16 (updated today) with updated packages on OS X Sierra 10.12.4.

I also tried $ brew update && brew reinstall libevent as it was reported in many places to solve the reported error. That didn’t work either, still getting the same three errors about kqueue.

And now I have tried restarting as well (I know, I know, but it always feels so wrong to have to) … and it worked :slight_smile:

Same here.

And it’s back again … Exact same error as before. Haven’t tried restating yet but I will. In both cases OS X has done something weird before the problem occurred. I switched user and back. Sometimes when I do that, I think only when the laptop has gone to sleep in between, when I log back in it behaves just like if it had been restarted. It opens windows again and Chrome complains about not being shut down properly etc.

I’m guessing something in this silent restart that happens breaks something with Atom and that it fixes itself when I restart. Still have no idea why it restarts while in sleep or how to recover without restarting again …

I’m having this exact same problem:

• Atom version (via Finder’s Get Info): 1.18.0
  • OS X: 10.12.6 (16G29)
  • 2017 MacBook Pro

Console logs from Atom launch:

default	14:40:39.190891 -0700	kernel	[Atom Helper pid:38842 mux-aware] starting, non-mux-aware app count 0, switch-state 0 IG FBs 0 EG FBs 2:1f power-state 0 3D busy HDA busy
default	14:40:39.209076 -0700	kernel	[Atom pid:38840 mux-aware] starting, non-mux-aware app count 0, switch-state 0 IG FBs 0 EG FBs 2:1f power-state 0 3D busy HDA busy
default	14:40:39.216210 -0700	NowPlayingTouchUI	[NowPlayingTouchUI] Updating now playing apps with 0 added and 0 removed.
default	14:40:39.216238 -0700	NowPlayingTouchUI	[NowPlayingTouchUI] Reloading control strip presence because of now playing apps reload.
default	14:40:39.233663 -0700	opendirectoryd	Client: <private>, UID: 501, EUID: 501, GID: 20, EGID: 20
default	14:40:39.261579 -0700	gamed	GKClientProxy: clientForBundleID:
default	14:40:39.261633 -0700	gamed	GKClientProxy: updateIfRecentlyInstalled
default	14:40:39.297167 -0700	Atom Helper	GVA info: preferred scaler idx 1
default	14:40:39.398139 -0700	kernel	[Atom Helper pid 38842 mux-aware] exiting, non-mux-aware app count 0, runtime: 0:00:00.207
default	14:40:39.411970 -0700	kernel	[Atom pid 38840 mux-aware] exiting, non-mux-aware app count 0, runtime: 0:00:00.203
default	14:40:39.571017 -0700	CommCenter	#I CSIAppInfo.ApplicationActivationObserver: handleLSNotitifcation_sync: Application exited: <private>

in the Terminal, when launched with atom:

I’ve moved ~/.atom aside, and tried atom --safe, all to no effect.

Other info: there’s not really any:

• Nothing in /var/log/system.log
  • No crash logs created.
  • atom exits 0

I have not yet rebooted since I started seeing this. (I’ve just been living with it, which is like walking with one foot asleep.)

After a deep uninstall and removal of the application bundle, it launched ok for me.