Atom Portable: Location of .atom Folder

I know there is some information available, but much of it is dated or inconclusive.

With the portable version of Atom, is it possible to have the .atom folder located with the portable application, preferably in the main folder itself?

I have tried putting it inside the folder, as well as beside the folder, bit I find that packages are still installed in the user’s home folder.

As far as I know, the procedure detailed in the Flight Manual has never changed. If it’s not working for you, that sounds like a bug.

OK, sorry for the delay.

I have found that putting the .atom directory beside the Atom directory does work, though I would have preferred it if I could have it inside the Atom directory. I may have misunderstood how work with the ATOM_HOME environment variable, but it appears to make no difference.

I have found, however, that running the apm.cmd command appears to ignore the portable setup, and still wants to install it into the home directory.

I am trying to do this on Windows, which is not my preferred environment.

Have you any suggestions?

It’s generally a bad idea to store configurations inside the files for a program. With .atom/ and the actual application folder being next to one another, the application folder can be deleted and replaced with no risk of messing up your personal settings.

I have found, however, that running the apm.cmd command appears to ignore the portable setup, and still wants to install it into the home directory.

If you have Atom installed normally, double-check that you’re not accidentally running the apm.cmd that’s in AppData/Local/atom/bin.

No, I give the full path the the portable version: …\Atom\resources\app\apm\bin\apm.cmd.

I did find, however, that if I set ATOM_HOME to something like the .atom folder, or the application folder, the package install fails. That indicates that it’s having an effect, though not the one I had in mind.

Does it work if you uninstall the properly installed version? (You can simulate that by renaming AppData/Local/atom/ itself, in which case it won’t be on your PATH any more and you’ll break the normal commands.)

Using apm Command to install packages in Portable Directory

There was never a properly installed version. I am trying this out on a pristine image.

The situation arose because I’m battling with some training machines where, due to an issue with the original image, the user directory path name is overly long, and, as a result, Atom won’t install due to the 260 character limit on Windows. I decided to go down the Portable path. Currently, I put the portable folder on the Deskop for easy access and maintainability.

I guess I’m getting carried away, but I think that a portable app should be as portable as possible, so I’m exploring what’s needed to keep the .atom folder independent of the user’s home directory.

I did find, however, that if I set ATOM_HOME to something like the .atom folder, or the application folder, the package install fails.

Do you get a specific error when the package install fails?

I ran it from a batch file, and it exited pretty quickly. I will try again next time and let you know. That will be in a few days,