Atom over x11 forwarding with xming Errors

I’m attempting to use xming with x11 forwarding. I’ve not been able to get the atom process on the linux box to actually launch over the x11 fowarding session i have open. i can do this for java apps and apps like xeyes but not atom. i do get a console message when attempting to launch “App load time: 3354ms”, I told atom to log as well “atom -l /root/atom.log” no logs are generated. I’ve tried with the new window as well.

When using the --wait i do get an error

“atom -w
/usr/bin/atom: line 117: 3907 Aborted (core dumped) nohup “ATOM_PATH" --executed-from="(pwd)” --pid=$$ “$@” > “$ATOM_HOME/nohup.out” 2>&1
App load time: 3346ms
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
atom --executed-from=/root --pid=3893 -w: xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost’ failed.
Failed to get crash dump id.
Report Id:

when attempting to use the -f switch this is the messages that get generated
”[4073:0202/112011:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(189)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[4073:0202/112016:INFO:audio_manager_pulse.cc(258)] Failed to connect to the context. Error: Connection refused
[4073:0202/112016:WARNING:proxy_config_service_linux.cc(76)] Proxy authentication parameters ignored, see bug 16709
[4073:0202/112016:WARNING:proxy_config_service_linux.cc(76)] Proxy authentication parameters ignored, see bug 16709
App load time: 3358ms
[4073:0202/112016:ERROR:browser_main_parts.cc(115)] X IO error received (X server probably went away)”

I was seeing the same error message and debugged it down to an X extension “BIG-REQUESTS”. You can use xtrace to trace all the X traffic and I saw an 8MB message before it crashed.
I first disabled all extensions with (xtrace -e ) and that worked.
My final hack was to copy libxcb.so.1 into /usr/share/atom, open up in editor, and change BIG-REQUESTS to _IG_REQUESTS. I figure when the client library asks if this extension is supported it will reply no and no more big messages.
hope this helps

I’m also having this error. I have issues with my corporate windows system and want to move my dev environment to a linux box but run atom over x11.

I’m also having trouble with this. I’m trying to display back from centos7 back to windows. Using Xming and X11 forwarding.

ref: https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/4360

Thanks @tonywmnix - works great!

In case you’re looking for a step-by-step for @tonywmnix’s hack:

Find libxcb.so.1 (somewhere under /usr) (we’ll call it $LIBXCB)
cd /usr/local/atom
cp “$LIBXCB” .
sed -i ‘s/BIG-REQUESTS/_IG-REQUESTS/’ libxcb.so.1
Note that you may need to run the last two as sudo. Also usual disclaimer for running commands off the internet.

I really wanted this to work:
$ sed -i ‘s/BIG-REQUESTS/_IG-REQUESTS/’ libxcb.so.1
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `▒’

The hubub on the internet is that sed doesn’t work on binary, or isn’t guaranteed to, anyway.