Atom Memory Hog

I have recently since V0.79 been getting large RAM spikes from Atom and killing my computer’s performance. Atom runs fine until I open a folder I have been working out of since the beta started. Folder size is only 150mb and I haven’t had this issue before.

See screenshot here of the 2 Atom helper task and the one has spiked up to 3gb before.

Screenshot

Could you click the ‘sample process’ button in the Activity Monitor and post the results here or email them to atom@github.com? That extra info will help us debug this!

Hey @ProbablyCorey
I took a sample snapshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7zwI3pbBMNBdDFCUzROMjMta0E/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if there is more information I can give you to be more helpful.

@ProbablyCorey
Updated to V 0.81 and this doesn’t seem to be happening anymore. Helper process now using only 78mb and Atom program using 48mb so all good for now I guess :smiley:

This happened to me too… same OS but upgrading didn’t seem to help :3

Looks like this might be the same issue …

One culprit seems to be the Spotify package …

Today after working 8 hrs in Atom, and in Atom version 0.96 I felt my computer not very responsive, I checked in the Activity Monitor and I saw “Atom Helper” was eating 639MB of memory.

So, I’d say the problem isn’t totally fixed even after updating to this version.

What packages do you have installed? Do you have any other information that can help track down the problem?

@leedohm

Sure, here is the list of extra packages I’m using:

• Cucumber
  • Fancy new file
  • Language HAML
  • Maximize panes
  • vim-mode

Macbook pro Mavericks 10.9.2 with external monitor.

My computer keeps telling me my startup disk is almost full and that there’s no more swap space when I’m running Atom. The editor itself doesn’t seem to be slow, but it’s evidently taking a huge amount of memory to stay that way. When I first open Atom, everything’s fine, but it goes downhill slowly.

System: Mavericks on an older MacMini with 8GB of memory
Atom: 0.106.0
Packages: “Woah There Mousewheel”, “Tabs to Spaces”

Before you start running Atom, how much disk space do you have? How much memory does Activity Monitor say that Atom is using?

I’ve seen this in a few occasions also. It’s quite common for me the process “Atom Helper” consuming around 400mb, even after a few restarts during the day.

Of course, I just started Atom to answer your reply, only to find it’s stopped happening. Bother.

Oh well, if it happens again, I’ll let you know.

Happening here, too, with atom-beta:

Can you reproduce this behavior in Safe Mode?

To launch Safe Mode:

1. Completely exit all instances of Atom
  2. Launch Atom with the command atom --safe

Same issue for me, fan started spinning on my MacBook and I looked at Activity, Atom Helper was using nearly 3GB of memory and over 100% CPU.

Have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • What OS and version are you running?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

• Atom 1.8.0
  • OS X 10.11.4
  • With --safe mode enabled it does not hog memory

The problem would seem to be with one or more of my packages, any hints on how to find out which one is causing the hogging?

My list of packages: https://gist.github.com/deiga/a0e209dff46672d84272fa29e5d2f11f

Some people have reported that the package-cop package has been helpful in finding problem packages.

Thank you! I managed to find the culprit which was git-tab-status and also found out that it’s a deprecated package :smiley:

Atom kinda needs a system to tell a user if installed packages have been depracted etc.