Atom keeps freezing---how can I find out which package is causing this?

Atom regularly freezes on me when I begin typing a script.

I will begin a new project (let’s use Python) with atom filename.py in the command line.

Atom opens up, and then I begin to type. Without even accessing a package (e.g. running a script, etc.), Atom freezes for a period of time (30-60 seconds). Sometimes I am asked to close it down.

I suspect a certain package is causing this odd behavior. How can I find out?

Is there any thing else I could try?

EDIT: I have tried completely uninstalling and re-installing atom. The only package I am using is ‘script’, i.e. https://atom.io/packages/script

Unfortunately, Atom still freezes. I’m not sure whether this issue can be solved.

See the CPU profiling topic in the debugging section of the Atom Flight Manual:

http://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/debugging/

Hmmm.

Well, I’ve tried the recommendations here. Naturally, there are no problems if I open up (let’s stick with Python) a script via the command line with

apm filename.py --safe

However, I cannot run the script. When I open atom without the flag --safe, there are obviously problems. Even typing in the text editor causes it to constantly freeze. At the moment, I only have the package atom-script installed , https://github.com/rgbkrk/atom-script

Is there anything I can send to the maintainers of this package to current this?

Any other advice?

Correction: even opening a script with --safe, there are times when the application freezes. I cannot access a text cursor to type within the text editor.

Have you followed all of the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • What OS and version are you running?
  • What are you doing when Atom is freezing?
  • What size files are you editing?
  • What kind of files are you editing?
  • Are you opening Atom in a particular directory? For example, your home directory?

Yes, I believe I have followed each of these.
As I mentioned, atom filename.py --safe leads to the same problems.

Which version of Atom are you using?

$ atom --version outputs

Atom : 1.7.2
Electron: 0.36.8
Chrome : 47.0.2526.110
Node : 5.1.1

What OS and version are you running?

What are you doing when Atom is freezing?
Typing into the text editor application.

What size files are you editing?
The first few lines of a Python script. ls -lah scriptname.py outputs 508B

What kind of files are you editing?
*.py

Are you opening Atom in a particular directory? For example, your home directory?
Home directory. Perhaps I should try a different directory…

Atom monitors all files in the directory you open and every directory underneath it in order to provide some of its features. So if your home directory is huge (most people’s home directories are), it will consequently take a lot of time to keep track of all of this.

This makes sense.

Yes, I am no longer having issues in other subdirectories. Thank you