Atom is terribly slow after pressing Ctrl+D

When I open Atom, all is normal until I press Ctrl+D the first time. After that, everything from highlighting text to switching tabs is painfully slow.

I disabled all community packages, I’m on Windows 7, I have all Atom updates installed.

I created a CPU profile of switching tabs, you can view it using DevTools > Profiles > Load: https://gist.github.com/jscissr/7de0ed11d5b532d5f1ba
I hope this helps in finding the issue.

Can you specify what Ctrl+D does on your system? On my system all it does is delete the character after the cursor. Really super snappy :grinning: You also could or a package could have remapped your key bindings, so a keybinding is far from universal.

Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • Do you have Emmet installed?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

Ctrl+D is “Find and replace: select next”.

But I just found the problem: I had a entered a regex in the Ctrl+F dialog that is really slow, like . with regex enabled. As soon as I hit Ctrl+D it activated search and now was constantly executing this slow regex (even if the search dialog itself was never shown). The regex was saved over restarts, so that didn’t help either.

all it does is delete the character after the cursor

That’s alt-d for me. Btw how do you do the key backround ?

Ctrl+D

<kbd>Ctrl+D</kbd>

I have a TextExpander snippet for it:

<kbd>%filltext:name=Key Command%</kbd>

Makes it really easy.