Atom is Not Working

I tried to open Atom but I got an error:

index.js:61 Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Users\Steven.atom\compile-cache\less\40e22529c8729b65e1d700a7ae3f73d57ed1288f\imports.json’
at Error (native)
at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:640:18)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as openSync] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:168:20)
at Object.fs.writeFileSync (fs.js:1343:33)
at Object.writeFileSync (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\node_modules\fs-plus\lib\fs-plus.js:281:17)
at LessCache.module.exports.LessCache.writeJson (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\node_modules\less-cache\lib\less-cache.js:155:17)
at LessCache.module.exports.LessCache.setImportPaths (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\node_modules\less-cache\lib\less-cache.js:113:12)
at new LessCache (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\node_modules\less-cache\lib\less-cache.js:32:12)
at new LessCompileCache (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\less-compile-cache.js:20:20)
at ThemeManager.module.exports.ThemeManager.loadLessStylesheet (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\theme-manager.js:269:26)
at ThemeManager.module.exports.ThemeManager.loadStylesheet (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\theme-manager.js:256:21)
at ThemeManager.module.exports.ThemeManager.requireStylesheet (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\theme-manager.js:174:24)
at ThemeManager.module.exports.ThemeManager.reloadBaseStylesheets (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\theme-manager.js:236:12)
at ThemeManager.module.exports.ThemeManager.loadBaseStylesheets (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\theme-manager.js:231:19)
at new AtomEnvironment (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\atom-environment.js:272:19)
at module.exports (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.12.7\resources\app.asar\src\initialize-application-window.js:26:19)
at setupWindow (file:///C:/Users/Steven/AppData/Local/atom/app-1.12.7/resources/app.asar/static/index.js:81:12)
at window.onload (file:///C:/Users/Steven/AppData/Local/atom/app-1.12.7/resources/app.asar/static/index.js:41:9)

I tried to read through it, but I still don’t know what it means. All I see in the Atom window is a white screen with some code on the right side.

Someone help, please!

What happens when you try to open Atom from the command line with atom --safe? What happens when you rename your .atom folder to something else and then open Atom?

Thanks!

‘atom --safe’ worked when I renamed my ‘.atom’ file to ‘atom’.
Just a few questions:

• How would I prevent this in the future?
  • What exactly is the problem?

Thanks again!

Most likely what happened is that you installed Atom in such a way that the permissions to the C:\Users\Steven\.atom directory were not set properly. Now that the permissions are set properly, this shouldn’t reoccur unless you fiddle with the permissions.

A note for the future: when somebody gives you multiple different things to try, you should try them individually and report on the effects of each. It becomes impossible to identify the problem if you try everything at once.