Atom installation error on Windows 8.1

Hi all,
when i try to install Atom on my Windows 8.1 machine i get this error.

##And the log say:

Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
ApplyReleasesImpl: No release to install, running the app
ApplyReleasesImpl: Squirrel Enabled Apps: [C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.179.0\atom.exe]
Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
ApplyReleasesImpl: Found partially applied release folder, killing it: C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.182.0
ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\Mattia\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.182.0
IEnableLogger: Failed to update local releases file: System.IO.IOException: File esistente.

in System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   in System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   in System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)
   in Squirrel.ReleaseEntry.BuildReleasesFile(String releasePackagesDir)
   in Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<updateLocalReleasesFile>b__ed()
   in System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   in System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- Fine traccia dello stack da posizione precedente dove è stata generata l'eccezione ---
   in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   in Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<updateLocalReleasesFile>d__ee.MoveNext()
--- Fine traccia dello stack da posizione precedente dove è stata generata l'eccezione ---
   in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   in Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__4b`1.MoveNext()

###########################################################

Any help? :frowning:

Atom v0.186.0 for Windows; No Bin Folder

After this error, i’ve found the full Atom app (0.182.0) inside the folder AppData\Local\atom\app-0.182.0. I’ve tried to run Atom.exe inside this folder and the app start regularly and i have linked the .exe file to desktop.
But… this is normal?

It’s not normal and I think there was an issue on the repo that sounded similar, although I can’t find it right now.

Check the atom.cmd file in the bin folder (not the 182 version folder). If it points to the 182 version, the installation probably did everything that was needed, but failed at the clean up stage or something.

Your links should continue to point to the cmd file, not directly to any specific version. It gets updated with every new one.

where i can find the bin folder on windows? o.O

Under the (hidden) AppData folder where Atom gets installed nowadays:

Seeing the same problem on Windows 7. Atom would not update itself; when I removed it and installed a fresh copy I got this problem.

My AppData\Local\atom\ folder does not have a \bin\ folder in it. It has \app-0.177.0, \app-0.184.0, and \packages\ folder, SquirrelSetup.log, and Update.exe. I can open Atom through the \app-0.84.0\ folder.

Exactly. The directory \bin does not exist

Clean install of Atom 0.184 fails on Windows 8.1

Maybe the problem is solved because my Atom app just updated itself :slight_smile: (I had the 0.182 version)

I have the same problem on Windows 8.1. The app tried to update itself but couldn’t. I tried using the latest installer, it failed. I tried deleting the user/Local/atom program folder and reinstalling, it failed. Now I can’t install Atom :frowning:

On Windows, Atom lives somewhere in %AppData%, or nearby. (There are three folders Local, LocalLow and Roaming, and %AppData% points to one of them but I forget which, and Atom lives in one of them, but I keep forgetting which.)

The Atom folder might be named .atom with a leading period, which might make it hard to find.

I’ve opened the issue. Now there is a workaround for fix the problem.
You have to delete the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp and the try to reinstall Atom.