Atom install on arch failed

Hello,
I am using arch linux 4.4.5 and trying to install atom on it. After doing a lot of work i finally reached the last step but still getting the errors. Can anybody help me with that.

I am following the guide given on github.

on running :

sudo script/grunt install i am getting the following error.

Loading “compile-packages-slug-task.coffee” tasks…ERROR

Error: Cannot find module 'season’
Loading “generate-module-cache-task.coffee” tasks…ERROR

Error: Cannot find module 'semver’
Loading “prebuild-less-task.coffee” tasks…ERROR

Error: Cannot find module 'less-cache’
Loading “Gruntfile.coffee” tasks…ERROR

Error: Cannot find module ‘less-cache/package.json’

Running “install” task
Warning: Cannot read property ‘description’ of undefined Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

Execution Time (2016-04-28 10:02:55 UTC)
loading tasks 6.6s ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ 100%
Total 6.6s

Note: I could have given you the link of guide given on github but it is saying new users can only put 2 links . I cannot understand where is the other link.

I think you’re referring to this guide. I never gave it a try, but your error seems to be due to missing dependencies. Did you install all the requirements specified in the guide?

Also, here you can find a list of common building issues for Atom on Linux.

May I ask you why are you interested in compiling Atom? On AUR you can find Atom snapshots that seem to work pretty well. At least, I always use the AUR snapshots to install Atom on my Arch machine. This is the latest available snapshot.

@b3by

Yeah I am following exactly the same guide you mentioned because for me installing atom with yaourt gives the error “atom-editor or atom not found in AUR”.
I donot know why it is so!
Yeah I have installed everything as per that guide and I just checked that all the 13 dependencies are already installed on my system.

I will try to reproduce the issue by compiling Atom from the source. In the meantime, please consider trying to install it from an AUR snapshot (don’t go through yaourt).

These are the steps:

1. make sure to have the required dependencies: pacman -S --needed base-devel
  2. download the snapshot from here (in the right box, Package options, click Download snapshot)
  3. unzip the downloaded file (tar -xvf atom-editor.tar.gz)
  4. move into the atom-editor directory and type makepkg -sri

When I installed it on my machine, the process got stuck a couple of times, so I had to interrupt it and start it again, but the final result was ok at the end.

Ok I will give it a try. Thanks for the info @b3by

Got the following output :
makepkg -sri
==> Making package: atom-editor 1.7.2-1 (Thu Apr 28 22:02:26 IST 2016)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
-> Found v1.7.2.tar.gz
-> Found package.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
v1.7.2.tar.gz … Passed
package.patch … Passed
==> Extracting sources…
-> Extracting v1.7.2.tar.gz with bsdtar
bsdtar: Failed to set default locale
==> Starting prepare()…
patching file package.json
patching file spec/atom-environment-spec.coffee
patching file spec/module-cache-spec.coffee
patching file spec/window-event-handler-spec.coffee
Hunk #1 succeeded at 75 with fuzz 2.
patching file src/module-cache.coffee
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory…
==> Starting build()…
Node: v5.10.1
npm: v2.13.3
Installing build modules…
gyp: /home/hridayesh/.node-gyp/5.10.1/common.gypi not found (cwd: /home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/minidump) while reading includes of binding.gyp while trying to load binding.gyp
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: gyp failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onCpExit (/home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:357:16)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:100:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:185:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:204:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.5-1-ARCH
gyp ERR! command “/usr/bin/node” “/home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/minidump
gyp ERR! node -v v5.10.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v2.0.2
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! Linux 4.4.5-1-ARCH
npm ERR! argv “/usr/bin/node” “/home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/.bin/npm” “–userconfig=/home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/.npmrc” “install” “–loglevel” "error"
npm ERR! node v5.10.1
npm ERR! npm v2.13.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! minidump@0.9.0 install: node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the minidump@0.9.0 install script ‘node-gyp rebuild’.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the minidump package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls minidump
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/hridayesh/atom-1.7.2/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/npm-debug.log
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting…

I think this has something to do with npm

It seems this issue has been experienced before.

https://discuss.atom.io/t/node-gyp-is-failing/9245/1

https://discuss.atom.io/t/apm-update-fails-with-gyp-error/8384

It is somehow related to this.

New Eroors have shown up!
I updated my arch linux then did all the steps a you told me and this is what i got while running
makepkg -sri
(node:1618) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
(node:1618) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
(node:1665) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
(node:1665) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
In file included from /usr/include/c++/5.3.0/new:40:0,
from /usr/include/c++/5.3.0/ext/new_allocator.h:33,
from /usr/include/c++/5.3.0/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bits/c++allocator.h:33,
from /usr/include/c++/5.3.0/bits/allocator.h:46,
from /usr/include/c++/5.3.0/string:41,
from …/deps/breakpad/src/common/dwarf/bytereader.h:34,
from …/deps/breakpad/src/common/dwarf/bytereader-inl.h:32,
from …/deps/breakpad/src/common/dwarf/bytereader.cc:32:
/usr/include/c++/5.3.0/exception:38:42: fatal error: bits/atomic_lockfree_defines.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Release/obj.target/dump_syms/deps/breakpad/src/common/dwarf/bytereader.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:269:23)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:204:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.5.1-1-ARCH
gyp ERR! command “/usr/bin/node” “/home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/minidump
gyp ERR! node -v v6.0.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v2.0.2
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! Linux 4.5.1-1-ARCH
npm ERR! argv “/usr/bin/node” “/home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/node_modules/.bin/npm” “–userconfig=/home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/.npmrc” “install” “–loglevel” "error"
npm ERR! node v6.0.0
npm ERR! npm v2.13.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! minidump@0.9.0 install: node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the minidump@0.9.0 install script ‘node-gyp rebuild’.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the minidump package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-gyp rebuildo
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls minidump
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/hridayesh/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.2/build/npm-debug.log
Aborting…
Thinking of giving up on this editor.

Did you install node from pacman?
Your problem seems to be related to node I think. Would you try to uninstall node-gyp, remove the ~/.node-gyp folder, reinstall it and see if the error is still there?

HI @b3by
Sorry for late rcame heply because I became hopeless about arch installation

I just installed my arch system after a long time and tried to install the atom via available snapshot as well as from building it as per instructions on github.
When i run makepkg -sri this is the output i am getting

makepkg -sri
==> Making package: atom-editor 1.7.3-1 (Sun May 22 17:07:22 IST 2016)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
-> Found v1.7.3.tar.gz
-> Found package.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
v1.7.3.tar.gz … Passed
package.patch … Passed
==> Extracting sources…
-> Extracting v1.7.3.tar.gz with bsdtar
bsdtar: Failed to set default locale
==> Starting prepare()…
patching file package.json
patching file spec/atom-environment-spec.coffee
patching file spec/module-cache-spec.coffee
patching file spec/window-event-handler-spec.coffee
Hunk #1 succeeded at 75 with fuzz 2.
patching file src/module-cache.coffee
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory…
==> Starting build()…
Node: v6.2.0
npm: v2.13.3
(node:31663) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
(node:31663) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
=> Took 16066ms.

Installing apm…
(node:31674) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
(node:31674) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
=> Took 2674ms.

Deleting old packages…
/home/archie/atom/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.3/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/apm: line 28: /home/archie/atom/atom-editor/src/atom-1.7.3/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/node: No such file or directory
Aborting…

Yes I removed the ~/.node-gpy and reinstalled it

This probably depends on the node and versions you’re currently running.
You’re on node v6.2.0, try to downgrade it on some 5 version (I’m currently using v5.5.0-1). For npm, try some 3 version (I’m on 3.5.3-1). I hope this could fix the issue.

@b3by
I tried using linuxbrew but could not succeed, Can you please help me in downgrading my node and npm ?
Thank You

I’ve never used linuxbrew, but you can find node and npm on pacman. I guess you could try to completely uninstall node and npm from linuxbrew and then install the specific version you need from pacman.

Thanks @b3by
Finally downgrading the node version helped me and finally atom has been installed on my system.
Learned a lot of things.
Once again thanks for your help. :smile: