Atom hangs on startup

Yes, although for me that rarely happens since I usually have multiple windows open. But yes, one window can hang also

In figuring out the circumstances under which Atom freezes for you, I feel like the first thing you should eliminate is the several windows opening at once. That could easily introduce lag on most computers.

@DamnedScholar sorry for the late response, forgot to check this thread again!

Anyway, I don’t know if I have much control over the windows opening at the same time. This usually happens after a forced shutdown, and I usually have several Atom windows open. Once rebooted I click to open Atom and it automatically tries to re-open every instance that was active on the last session.

However, the point is moot - today I had the same situation and there were no frozen Atom windows after they all re-opened, and a few of the windows had many files open. Previously, this was guaranteed to trigger at least one frozen window, so it seems like the problem has been resolved. I’m on version 1.21.0 x64 now.

Me too :(.

1.25.1 here, running on Ubuntu 16.04, atom freezes even when loading with --safe.

Devtools work, but nothing else. Also, no information on console, network, sources, simply hangs and that’s it.

I know it’s kinda old topic, but is still hapening today so…

This is still an issue on 1.27.0.

--clear-window-state and --safe don’t help.

Removing ~/.atom directory also doesn’t help.

[~] atom --version
Atom    : 1.27.0
Electron: 1.7.11
Chrome  : 58.0.3029.110
Node    : 7.9.0

What helped in my case was killing --type=gpu-process child, several times. Every time I sent the SIGTERM, the Atom window advanced a bit in its initialization, redrew the window, then hanged again. At some point (3 kills later) the main window had opened the welcome tabs and became responsive. At this point, I see no --type=gpu-process processes in the Atom branch.

I also have to repeat the killing steps again after Atom restart, even with clean state. To me, it looks like the configuration/state is irrelevant, and this is a genuine lockup in the startup routine.