Atom hangs on startup

For the last couple of weeks atom hangs on startup when I open it for the first time after shutting down my computer. The only way for me to clear up the issue is to delete the storage directory under .atom, start in safe mode, close all open tabs, then restart in normal mode. I was able to resolve the issue for a couple days by deleting my entire .atom directory and reinstalling all plugins but the issue started happening again yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my system info:

Atom version: 1.8.0
Installed plugins:
Built-in Atom Packages (89)
β”œβ”€β”€ about@1.5.0
β”œβ”€β”€ archive-view@0.61.1
β”œβ”€β”€ atom-dark-syntax@0.27.0
β”œβ”€β”€ atom-dark-ui@0.51.0
β”œβ”€β”€ atom-light-syntax@0.28.0
β”œβ”€β”€ atom-light-ui@0.43.0
β”œβ”€β”€ autocomplete-atom-api@0.10.0
β”œβ”€β”€ autocomplete-css@0.11.1
β”œβ”€β”€ autocomplete-html@0.7.2
β”œβ”€β”€ autocomplete-plus@2.29.2
β”œβ”€β”€ autocomplete-snippets@1.10.0
β”œβ”€β”€ autoflow@0.27.0
β”œβ”€β”€ autosave@0.23.1
β”œβ”€β”€ background-tips@0.26.0
β”œβ”€β”€ base16-tomorrow-dark-theme@1.1.0
β”œβ”€β”€ base16-tomorrow-light-theme@1.1.1
β”œβ”€β”€ bookmarks@0.39.0
β”œβ”€β”€ bracket-matcher@0.82.0
β”œβ”€β”€ command-palette@0.38.0
β”œβ”€β”€ deprecation-cop@0.54.1
β”œβ”€β”€ dev-live-reload@0.47.0
β”œβ”€β”€ encoding-selector@0.21.0
β”œβ”€β”€ exception-reporting@0.38.0
β”œβ”€β”€ find-and-replace@0.199.0
β”œβ”€β”€ fuzzy-finder@1.0.5
β”œβ”€β”€ git-diff@1.0.1
β”œβ”€β”€ go-to-line@0.30.0
β”œβ”€β”€ grammar-selector@0.48.1
β”œβ”€β”€ image-view@0.57.0
β”œβ”€β”€ incompatible-packages@0.26.1
β”œβ”€β”€ keybinding-resolver@0.35.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-c@0.51.3
β”œβ”€β”€ language-clojure@0.20.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-coffee-script@0.46.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-csharp@0.12.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-css@0.36.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-gfm@0.85.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-git@0.12.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-go@0.42.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-html@0.44.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-hyperlink@0.16.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-java@0.17.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-javascript@0.110.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-json@0.18.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-less@0.29.3
β”œβ”€β”€ language-make@0.21.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-mustache@0.13.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-objective-c@0.15.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-perl@0.34.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-php@0.37.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-property-list@0.8.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-python@0.43.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-ruby@0.68.5
β”œβ”€β”€ language-ruby-on-rails@0.25.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-sass@0.46.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-shellscript@0.21.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-source@0.9.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-sql@0.20.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-text@0.7.1
β”œβ”€β”€ language-todo@0.27.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-toml@0.18.0
β”œβ”€β”€ language-xml@0.34.4
β”œβ”€β”€ language-yaml@0.25.2
β”œβ”€β”€ line-ending-selector@0.4.1
β”œβ”€β”€ link@0.31.1
β”œβ”€β”€ markdown-preview@0.158.0
β”œβ”€β”€ metrics@0.53.1
β”œβ”€β”€ notifications@0.63.1
β”œβ”€β”€ one-dark-syntax@1.2.0
β”œβ”€β”€ one-dark-ui@1.3.1
β”œβ”€β”€ one-light-syntax@1.2.0
β”œβ”€β”€ one-light-ui@1.3.1
β”œβ”€β”€ open-on-github@1.0.1
β”œβ”€β”€ package-generator@1.0.0
β”œβ”€β”€ settings-view@0.235.1
β”œβ”€β”€ snippets@1.0.2
β”œβ”€β”€ solarized-dark-syntax@1.0.2
β”œβ”€β”€ solarized-light-syntax@1.0.2
β”œβ”€β”€ spell-check@0.67.1
β”œβ”€β”€ status-bar@1.2.3
β”œβ”€β”€ styleguide@0.45.2
β”œβ”€β”€ symbols-view@0.112.0
β”œβ”€β”€ tabs@0.96.0
β”œβ”€β”€ timecop@0.33.1
β”œβ”€β”€ tree-view@0.205.0
β”œβ”€β”€ update-package-dependencies@0.10.0
β”œβ”€β”€ welcome@0.34.0
β”œβ”€β”€ whitespace@0.32.2
└── wrap-guide@0.38.1

Community Packages (6) C:\Users\justi.atom\packages
β”œβ”€β”€ atom-typescript@10.1.5
β”œβ”€β”€ linter@1.11.14
β”œβ”€β”€ linter-eslint@7.2.4
β”œβ”€β”€ linter-tslint@0.10.0
β”œβ”€β”€ vim-mode-plus@0.49.0
└── vim-mode-plus-ex-mode@0.4.0

There’s one thing that it sounds like you haven’t cleared out which is the new window state storage:

Also, are you closing Atom before you shut down your computer? It sounds like you’re leaving it open and then it is being force killed and things are getting corrupted.

Thanks! I’ll try that. And no, I am closing atom before shutting down. Is it possible that its not completing closing? I shutdown very quickly after close usually.

It is possible, yes.

I have not been able to try to reproduce this yet today. I will respond again in the morning with results so we can close the issue.

Atom hanged here while upgrading from 1.10 to 1.11 too, sad I had to erase state but afterwards no problem. Not sure what’s going on.

Using windows 10 here. (uh, this appears to be an outdated threat, woops)

Edit: 2 days later and crashed again (I can use menu, but the interface is completely frozen and unresponding).

I have had this same problem.
The clear state process sometimes work–only once.
Atom hangs again the next time.
Maybe there is something weird in one of my usual files (combo of txt + html; none that big)–but that should not cause an editor to hang.

Another clue. My work around has been watch Task Manager and kill the last atom thread to use CPU (not the one using largest memory). Obviously not a desirable / reliable way to use software.

I have the same problem as Eredhan do. And the same work around works. Just annoying to have to do that every time i start Atom :frowning:

If you’re having to do the workaround every time you start Atom, something is seriously wrong. Most likely, you have some sort of permissions problem in the locations that Atom is trying to save its state between sessions.

I think it’s some process that Atom is starting up that freeze the program, cuz if I kill the second sub process of Atom in task manager then it β€œunlocks” the freeze and everything works. And by the look of the amount of people having the same problem it’s more likely the program having some issues.

I run Windows 10 and no β€œpermission” will prevent Atom from saving the state in the config folder (I suppose that’s where it saves the state of the session). Can I move the path Atom saves the session state?

A β€œme too” post since I’ve been frequently experiencing this as well. The workaround always helps, but is terribly annoying. Trying to narrow this down, can those of you affected by this perhaps weigh in on which of these conditions you can confirm on your end?

• Large screen (2K in my case)
  • Running in full-screen mode
  • Running without menu bar
  • Four or more edit panes (three-way horizontal split, two-way vertical split in at least one)

This is still a problem (and nasty work-around) for me, re-installed to 1.15.0 x64.

Since others also report it, I don’t think this is unique to my Win 10 PC setup.

More description that is user observe-able:
While it hangs, atom has loaded the previous set of files I had open, but they have not been syntax color highlighted yet, and the Project Tree Panel is hidden (b/c I turn it off).
When I kill the offending thread, the syntax highlighting completes–but the project tree panel appears (b/c whatever).

I found if I close (the 12) open tabs on startup, it no longer hangs

I know this is rather old but getting the same problem.
Just wanted to say that Don’t open previously opened files on new start didn’t help.
It managed to go one step further (showing project tree and some icons) but still got stuck.
Like @robforee said, closing previously opened tabs (10+) does help so what I did was:

1. Start Atom normally, it hangs
  2. Start another Atom window (right click on icon), it starts fresh atom without project loaded or anything
  3. Close 1st Atom instance (the one that was stuck)
  4. Open you recent project in 2nd Atom instance, it reopens all tabs you had opened.
  5. Close some of the tabs and close Atom to remember recent project/tabs opened.

I know it’s been quite a while, but I’m having this exact same problem now, using Atom 1.19.2 ia32. Haven’t found a solution besides closing all open tabs before the Atom window freezes, and then re-opening. Not fun.

What happens when you start Atom from the command line with atom --safe?

Additionally - is there a repeating pattern of behaviour that you can see that does this. Is there something that you are busy with that repeatedly gives this behaviour?

Are your running 32-bit? On which OS and computer?

I have the exact same problem over the past 2 or so months. Windows 10. Hangs on load, kill a process, finishes loading. It’s as Eredhan has stated previously.

Opening in safe mode doesn’t help, still hangs.

This happens any time i open Atom, in any scenario. Fresh boot with nothing else at all open - meaning even 3rd party services that would load have been closed or disabled from start.

In answer to Damned Scholar and danPadric:

• Opening in safe mode doesn’t help. Atom freezes just as before
  • I’m running 32-bit Atom on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • The repeating pattern, or rather, steps to reproduce, seem to be:
  1. Have Atom open with a few files open (not sure how many files triggers the bug - the least I’ve seen trigger it is 8).

2. I am not sure about this step - it seems to be what causes the problem but maybe it’s unrelated. Force-close Atom, ignoring any save dialogs it might open up.
    This happens to my machine at work on weekends. Every weekend my machine is automatically rebooted by our IT dept’s software. I assume Atom (and any other apps I left open) are force-closed without answering any save dialogs.

3. Open Atom. It will attempt to re-open any Atom windows that were open before, and some/all of those windows will freeze individually.

For example let’s say one of my Atom instances (at reboot time) is open to β€œProjectX” with 8 files open. When I return to my computer and restart Atom, several Atom instances might run (β€œProjectA”, β€œProjectX” and so on). ProjectA might not freeze at all because no files were open. But the window for ProjectX hangs, showing the open files and the tree, but not much else.
To get ProjectX unfrozen, you have to force-close it, then open it again, and immediately start hitting CTRL+W to close all open files. If you’re quick enough, the new Atom window will open and close very quickly, because after you hit CTRL+W enough times, all open files are closed and your last CTRL+W closes the entire window. Then you open ProjectX again, and it won’t hang.

Does Atom hang on startup when it’s trying to open a single window at a time?