Atom freezes on startup unless I delete IndexedDB

I have been using and loving Atom for a bit now, but recently I have encountered the following issue (consistently):

On startup, Atom freezes. I see all of my open files but cannot interact with the UI. Eventually, it asks me if I want to keep waiting or Close.

To get around the issue, I delete the folder “IndexedDB” before restarting (I am on Windows 10 so this is located at C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Atom\IndexedDB ).

Any ideas? Is this a known issue? Any way to debug it and figure out where it is hanging?

Thanks.

The proper way to do what you’re doing is described in the Atom Flight Manual. By just deleting the IndexedDB, you probably are only doing half the job and setting yourself up to make the cycle start all over again. Additionally, you may have a package that is misbehaving and causing the problem. Have you tried using Safe Mode to see if the problem is actually in Atom or in a community package you have installed? To launch Safe Mode:

1. Completely exit all instances of Atom
  2. Launch Atom with the command atom --safe

Firstly, thank you for the response and sorry for the delayed followup. I am still struggling with this issue… I have read through the page that you pointed me to, but am no closer to understanding what is causing the freeze. Some notes:

• atom --safe does not help. Still freezes on startup.
  • atom --clear-window-state fixes the issue (until it happens again), but of course I lose my window state.

Is there any way to turn on some extended logging or similar to find out what it was trying to do when it froze?

Thanks again.

Not really, no. You may want to see if there is a way to export the IndexedDb contents that are causing problems so that you can report an Issue to help us figure out what exactly is going wrong.