Atom freezes on open for specific project

First, I really like Atom and have been using it extensively for about 6 months.

I’m using the latest version of Atom (0.196.0) on OSX (10.10.3) for a project that is a library and has a large number of JS files (1,500). I have been using Atom for this project for about a month now.

Today when I have tried to open the project (from the command line - I open all my projects from the command line), Atom hangs. One Atom helper pegs out at 100%. When I start Atom in safe mode, Atom comes up fine but isn’t terribly useful without plugins.

Is there a way to find out which plugins are hanging? I have tried atom --profile-startup but it won’t start in the project folder either.

You can try @mark_hahn’s package-cop package, or do it the old fashioned way (disable all community packages and re-enable and test one at a time).

Can you post a list of your installed packages? (apm list --installed)

@mnquintana Thanks.

I’ll try package-cop. Meanwhile, here’s the list of installed packages.
Here are the packages I have installed:
Stylus@1.0.0
Sublime-Style-Column-Selection@1.2.3
angularjs@0.1.0
atom-beautify@0.26.4
atom-color-highlight@3.0.9
atom-compile-coffee@1.3.0
atom-css-class-checker@0.4.3
atom-jshint@1.5.0
atom-typescript@4.1.3
auto-copyright@0.4.1
autocomplete-paths@1.0.2
autocomplete-plus@2.12.1
autocomplete-snippets@1.3.0
change-case@0.5.1
color-picker@1.7.0
comment@0.2.7
compare-files@0.4.1
debugger-lines@0.5.2
editorconfig@1.0.0
file-type-icons@0.6.0
file-types@0.3.0
filesize@0.2.0
git-control@0.2.0
git-history@2.5.0
highlight-line@0.10.2
highlight-selected@0.9.2
jsdoc@0.9.0
jsformat@0.8.0
jshint@1.3.5
jumpy@2.0.6
language-ejs@0.1.0
language-jade@0.4.0
last-cursor-position@0.9.0
linter@0.12.1
local-history@3.1.0
markdown-pdf@1.3.5
merge-conflicts@1.3.1
minimap@4.8.0
monokai-seti@0.7.0
open-in-browser@0.4.4
polymer-snippets@1.1.2
project-manager@1.15.5
seti-monokai@0.3.1
seti-ui@0.7.1
show-in-folder@0.1.0
sublime-tabs@0.5.6
tabs-to-spaces@0.10.0
view-tail-large-files@0.1.14

I remember (from like half a year ago, so this may not be true anymore…) that the Stylus package would slow down my machine massively. I replaced it with language-stylus.

@olmokramer Thanks for the tip. I’m trying to enable packages one at a time to see if I can isolate the packages or combination of packages that cause the problem. I’ll keep in mind your comment about stylus.

I found the culprit(s). I disabled all my 3rd party packages and then started re-enabling them one at a time, in order of the ones most important to my work. When I enabled atom-jshint, the editor locked up again. I then tried to replace it with jshint but it locked up the editor too. Finally, I installed linter-jshint and not only found that it was much faster for me that atom-jshint and jshint, but also stable.

JSHINT stops Atom

Atom was freezing only on a very specific project for me, as well. The 3rd party packages weren’t the reason.

We had a power outage last night, though. And the project was open when that happened and obviously resulted in corrupted “project information” in atom. I deleted all “editor-*” files in /HOME/.atom/storage. Afterwards Atom was able to start the project again.

Hope that helps someone coming across a similar situation.