Atom doesn't start in Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

Hi everyone,
I’ve been using Atom for a few years
This is my OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

Atom has not opened for about 10 days. I click the button to launch the application but nothing happens. I have already tried to delete and reinstall Atom via the terminal. The problem persists.

Do you have any suggestions or indications for me?
Thanks

1 Like

If you search the net you will find other users (going back nearly two years) citing that some apps have stopped running on Ubuntu 18.04.

I would first try an upgrade of 18.04.

Failing that (18.04 is now dated), I would consider upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 (but that is a significant task to undertake). If you have a flash USB drive where you can install 20.04 using Ubuntu app mkusb you can “try” running Ubuntu 20.04 in your PC to see if you have enough steam power in your PC. Better to install on a fresh partition or drive and fall back to 18.04 if you hit problems. Explore ubuntuforums.org for advice on this. You could dual boot between 18.04 and 20.04 as another scenario. I would keep 18.04 and 20.04 on different drives (I have two external SSD’s in a docking bay) but they can be on different partitions if you only have one drive.

Of course, this could all be overkill. Before embarking on this journey try creating a new guest account in 18.04 and install Atom. It might be something very basic.

I am on Ubuntu 20.04.

1 Like

So basically, the reason why Atom doesn’t work anymore is because the latest application has conflicts with Ubuntu 18.04
If I remove Atom and install one of the previous Atom version can I potentially solve the problem?

1 Like

I have no idea. If you try my suggestion to create a separate user account in 18.04 you can install an earlier version of Atom there and answer your question.

1 Like

You posted and then it was withdrawn but I had a few seconds to read it briefly so will answer.

If you have enough disk space and you use GParted you can create a new ext4 partition for dualboot Ubuntu 20.04. But you appear to have only a single drive which suggests that you are not backing up. Risky.

1 Like

isn’t the idea of LTS, a Long term Support… so in case you still need to work on ubuntu 18.04, to test for work you do on ubuntu 18.04 server… kjnd of weird an application doens’t work anymore… before the LTS support term is over. What version do you need of atom to install and it is still working on 18.04?

1 Like

I downloaded the .deb from this verion installed it, and it works again, jus need to remove it from my source list, so won’t update automatically again: Release 1.53.0 · atom/atom · GitHub

1 Like

I have removed atom and my idea is to install the previous (stable for me) version, I think this is the 1.53.0 as iamit has written.

1 Like

Mmmm, I’m in trouble.
I’m trying to install atom 1.53.0 via terminal. Can you tell me the command line?
Thanks

1 Like

Flight Manual instructions

1 Like

Ok, thanks, but if I want the 1.53.0 version, what I have to do?
The instructions will install latest version.

1 Like

If you still retain an old copy of 1.53.0 deb then I would read the Flight Manual instructions for setting up a mobile version of 1.53.0.

P.S. look in your Downloads folder to check if you still have a copy of 1.53.0. If you do not then I don’t know where the archives are held. Perhaps Github.

1 Like

Hi @paloo.

You can get old versions of Atom at the GitHub releases page for Atom: Releases · atom/atom · GitHub

And on that page, look for the “Assets” dropdown for the release you want.

If you want to download the .deb package for Atom 1.53.0 using the commend line, you can do this command:
wget https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/download/v1.53.0/atom-amd64.deb

And then sudo apt install ./atom-amd64.deb.

If Atom 1.53 solves the problem for you, I’d like to investigate that further. Ubuntu 18.04 is still a supported release of Ubuntu (by Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu), and Atom is expected to still work on that release.

1 Like

I was able to install the latest Atom 1.54.0 on the Ubuntu 18.04.5 live desktop image. I got the Ubuntu live image from here:
(Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)ISO file)

I got Atom with: wget https://atom.io/download/deb -O atom-amd64.deb

Maybe you can run through some of the troubleshooting steps here, and see if any of those can correct the problem? Debugging

1 Like

Chances are they were using the snap distribution, which is not supported by Atom and has had a few people raise issues about not working.

1 Like

To test this theory … just run …

snap list
1 Like

I solved this issue with “snap revert (something)” as it by default stores previous versions of the software

1 Like