Atom display issue after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04

After upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04, whenever atom is started from within a virtualenv, there is either no display of the new instance or a heavily pixelated depiction. Some times, the entire screen of my workstation freezes (besides mouse cursor movement) to the point that I have to hard reboot the machine.
The problem seems to be say, non-deterministic cause after some reboots it occasionally goes away, atom executes correctly and I am able to work from within the virtualenv.

Has anybody encountered this issue?
Any suggestions?

edit - update: After leaving the instance hanging with the pixalated display, I got the following error in my command line from where I tried to run atom after activating my virtualenv

(venv_p35) > /usr/bin/atom: line 115:  3995 Killed                  nohup "$ATOM_PATH" --executed-from="$(pwd)" --pid=$$ "$@" > "$ATOM_HOME/nohup.out" 2>&1
App load time: 388ms

p.s. here is an example of what I am talking about

Does the same thing happen when using Chrome or Chromium? Which version of Atom are you using? (Did you know that typing atom --version at the command line in recent versions will tell you the version of Chromium Atom is based on?)

In all likelihood, this is a Chromium issue. It may be resolved in newer versions of Chromium that are coming down the pipeline but haven’t made it to Atom just yet.

$ atom --version
Atom : 1.7.3
Electron: 0.36.8
Chrome : 47.0.2526.110
Node : 5.1.1

I haven’t come across any issues with Chrome (I am not using Chromium).

Which version of Chrome are you using?

Version 50.0.2661.94 (64-bit)

So it could be that whatever problem Atom is having is fixed somewhere between Chromium 47.0.2526.110 and Chromium 50.0.2661.94.