Atom cursor/type acting funky, can't type/delete/space etc

This problem started about 3 days. Upon a new startup of Atom, the cursor becomes thicker (or wider/bolder) and doesn’t blink. I can’t delete or space characters and I can only type after I press a character once, which prompts Atom to change the cursor to its default slim, blinking width and then I can type characters.

Another problem I just recently started having this morning is that Atom is not rendering code properly. In a stylesheet its rendering two instances of the same code differently.

section h1 {
    background-color: rgb(125, 186, 240);
    color: white;
    font-size: 1.7em;
    letter-spacing: 0.4em; --> properly rendering code
    text-indent: 1em;
}

h2 {
    background-color: rgb(0, 165, 0);
    color: white;
    color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8)
    letter-spacing: 0.4em; --> does not properly render code and linter reports an Error stating "Expected RBRACE at line 30, col. 19
    text-indent: 1em;
}

This is driving me crazy and I have work that I need to get done for school today! Someone please help, I am new to this type of thing and would like some help learning how to fix these kinds of issues.

Thanks everybody!

I forgot to add my specs:
I’m running an early 2011 Macbook Pro with Yosemite 10.10.5.

I also installed the LibreOffice 5 suite about 3 days ago too, to try something different than Microsoft Office. Is this known to cause or would this cause any problems?

Thanks peeps!

Have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • Do you have Emmet installed?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

Is your second problem caused by a missing semicolon (in the h2 color rule) or is that just a typo while posting here?

Whats up John,
That was the problem. “Gotta check my code, Gotta check me code…” Thanks for your help my man.

Hey leedohm,
Thanks for the help.

I followed the atom --safe boot as you suggested. I don’t really know what to look for in my config file and I don’t want to screw anything up.

version: 1.0.19
I do not have Emmet, although I did install the color-picker, pigments, text buffer, revert buffer and vim-mode packages. I deleted the pigments package because it wasn’t working and it’s build is failing but I’m not sure if there are any residual files lying around that I may have missed.
I booted atom --safe and the issue was gone!

Safe mode disables all third-party packages (among other things). So it is one of the packages you have installed that is causing the issue.

So when I uninstall a package how do I thoroughly check to make sure that all the files and directories connected to these packages have been removed?

If you use the built-in uninstall functionality, then Atom does it for you.

I just uninstalled color-picker but the problem is still persistent? A few of my packages have been updated this week. Is there a file or list that tells me whats been updated?

If I deleted all my packages in my packages folder in my config folder would this solve the problem or are these packages linked to anything else in another folder somewhere?

Did you restart Atom? Sometimes when packages misbehave they don’t clean up after themselves properly. Restarting Atom is the only way to completely reset in that case.

I’ve reset it plenty of times and that doesn’t do anything.

What do you mean by “reset it”? Did you exit Atom and start it again? If you’re still having problems that are cleared up by Safe Mode, then there is still some package you have installed causing problems.

My bad. I’ve restarted, shut down and rebooted atom several times and that doesn’t fix anything. So like I said before a few of my packages have been updated this week. Is there a file or list that tells me whats been updated so I can possibly remove those packages and check again?

No, there is not.

So guess uninstalling packages and themes is the way to go then, huh?

the package that was causing the funky cursor stuff was vim-mode by atom. Why would it do this?

I don’t know. I’m not a vim fan, so I don’t use the package.

lee, Thanks for all your help.